Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirtazapine -Coming off Meds & Lowering Dosage

Re: Mirtazapine -Coming off Meds & Lowering Dosage

Hi

It's been helpful to read posts about coming off these. I have been taking them since July2011 and I currently take 30mg at night and 15 mg in the morning. I have had CBT with the meds and I feel a lot better. So much so that I agreed with my GP to start coming off. So tonight I am halving my evening dose will probably keep it at that for a month before a further reduction. I have to admit to being a little anxious about it now. Any other readers come off without too much difficulty?

Thanks

Hi,

I always find the need to post a message when I am changing my dose. Feels reassuring to share my experiences somehow with others who may be going through the same thing. Family and friends don't always understand this illness. I was in hospital for some tests last week and was astonished by ignorance of one of the nurses who said that medication wasn't the answer for depression! It may not be right for some, but that is a decision of the GP and patient.

Anyway I reduced my dose from 45mg down to 30mg without too much difficulty. A little nausea and waking up in the night but that only lasted a few days. At the beginning of March I went down to 15mg. After a few days I experienced more nausea, some sleep disturbance and general shakiness but nothing too bad.

Dr agreed last week for me to go down to 15mg every other night now. I have hesitated doing this but it won't happen on it's own so I think tonight will be the first night in 9 months without taking anything . Feeling a little apprehensive re going a whole 48 hours between doses. I guess I would prefer to try and take half a tablet every night but I guess Dr knows best!

Bye for now

All the best with this. Based on your experiences dropping dosage before I think you'll be fine - but it is a big step having your first day without it

Please do let us know how you get on and in particular what effects, if any, you get.

My GP suggested both options for coming off from 15mg and left it to me to decide, either 1 tablet every other day, or half a tablet every night for a while then alternate nights of half a tablet.

Thanks Ingenious. Unfortunately I gave in and had to take one. I was wide awake and had a high pitched continuous whistle in my ears. After that, things settled down and I got to sleep.

I managed without taking a tablet on Friday night though . Woke up about 3am wide awake and thirsty. Got up for a drink but managed to get back to sleep for a couple of hours after 4.30. Was OK during the day-very fidgety and some nausea but nothing too bad.

Took my whole tablet on Saturday night as planned. Hoping to skip my 2nd dose tonight-hopefully it will be easier now I have done it once. If it doesn't get easier, I will try taking half a tablet each night as you were advised.

So are you off them now? I am interested in knowing how long to go before decreasing further-I was planning to carry on like this until I felt adjusted and then try half a tablet every other night. Not due to see my GP until May but was hoping to be off them by then.

OK well I have now been taking 15mgs every other night for nearly a week. Until today I think it has gone well. Sleeping a little disturbed waking up a few times on my 'night off' but nothing too bad. The nausea was not as bad as when I went from 30 to 15mg.

Definitely feeling more anxious now though.We are going away for a few days which should be enjoyable but I don't seem to be able to look forward to it...perhaps I am feeling the effects of the reduced dose.

everything I've ever read about med reduction is that you half the dose but take it everynight then half anotherand do the same. Missing ever other night just confuses the body and mind

Joy

Thanks for the posting Joy. I have been mostly OK on 15 mg every other night.After one week of that I have now reduced that to 7.5 mg last night and plan to skip tonight and take another 7.5 mg tomorrow night. So far only had some nausea which usually settles after a few days. Aim to stick with 7.5 mg every other night for a week or so and then try skipping 2 nights or stopping completely.

Hi, its been a few weeks since my last post so thought I would give an update in case anyone else is in the process of tapering down.

Since my last post, I spent 2 weeks on half of 15 mg tablet every other night followed by 1 week on a quarter of 15mg tablet every other night-it was difficult cutting them as the tablets tend to disintegrate.

6 days ago -took my last tablet, and apart from some nausea it has been fine and the nausea seems to be improving so hopefully I am coming out of it now. I was really anxious before I started coming off but it has been fine...assuming I don't have any problems. I will give an update if there are any changes. Good luck if you are going through this.

Ankh

hi all,

i started on 15 mg mirt in jan. i then needed the does putting upto 30mg. and 2 weeks ago the doc put them up again to 45mg but since then i cannot swallow food at all. the doctor has now decided to take me off them completley by reducing them. 30mg for 3 nights and 15 mg for 3 nights, then a new medication on tuesday, i think its prozac he is putting me on. will i feel any side affects from this?

thanks

Hi,
    can't give you advice on that but good luck. I was recently put up to 45mg but have had flu like symptoms for 5 days so today took my dose down again. I was on prozac for years so will be happy to come off this [which worked well but for 2 months only]. Tomorrow I will see the doc. Good luck,
    Teresa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information