Thread: Are intrusive thoughts and doubts treated the same in ocd?

Are intrusive thoughts and doubts treated the same in ocd?

Hi,
    I have been looking into ocd alot lately to try and help myself. The thing that is bothering me is are intrusive thoughts and doubt the same thing? Hope this makes sense.
    I used to get many intrusive thoughts they would just hit me like a bolt and terrify me, things like 'what if i stabbed someone' 'what if i shout out something on the bus' plus lots more.
    The thing is now i dont seem to be getting them on this some sort of level. They are more doubts like 'what if that comment i just made was bad' 'what if i am a bad person and i am set to punished for it' 'should a try and make things right' 'can i make things right or is it too late now'.
    Its like the intrusive thought used to hit me but the doubt sort of creeps in.
    I hope someone can relate to this.
    Please could someone let me know if i should be treating these doubts in the same was as an intrusion?
    I just seem to go over and over conversations and things that are worrying me for hours until i feel terrible.
    Many thanks
    sarah

Re: Are intrusive thoughts and doubts treated the same in ocd?

I didnt realise that some of my thoughts were a form of ocd....but they are!
    http://www.ocdsymptoms.co.uk/pure-o-ocd.html

try accepting them and not fighting against them,youre letting the thoughts win.You know deep down you would never act on them,they are silly thoughts,try to dismiss them...its hard,but once you understand them it will get easier.Its because you are a good person that these thoughts are upsetting you.
    do you have panic attacks too?

OCD is known as the doubting disorder.

The trick like many anxiety disorders is learning to live with the doubt.

This is what my therapist told me.
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

Thanks for you replies, it means alot. I get so fed up sometimes being so unsure of everything.
    I do get panic attacks sometimes but thankfully not too often. Mostly i feel tense and anxious all the time, due to all the thinking and worrying.
    I am really hoping to see a cbt therapist soon but have been waiting a while. they said maybe in feb. I know they will help me and that your right about living with the doubt. Its just so hard to break out of it all on your own.

hi
    yes ive had all of that myself... thinking i will hurt someone i love...and doubting what ive said to someone, and wondering if it came out the wrong way, and should i go back and say something else just incase, but then id look stupid , etc etc.. its all anxiety caused... by an over anxious mind that just needs to rest....

Hello,

I also get the same thing and yes I think that doubts and intrusive thoughts are the same or they are in certain ways and you need to deal with them in the same way. If you think about it when you have an intrusive thought its usually about hurting someone etc like you said " what if I stabbed someone?" that in itself is a doubt of yourself. So intrusive thought and doubts are pretty much the same thing. For me its one of the worst mental illnesses to deal with! Because it makes you upset, doubt everything, the worst fear and stress ever!

I've had cbt and counselling and yes it helped alot but you have to put in the work too. I still have the odd occasion where the fear grips me and right now its worse because I am out of work but I am getting through it and I just wanna hold on...when I have a job I deal with things much better. When we have too much time it can make the thoughts worse...well it can for me anyway.

Hope you hold on too!
    x

i have this too along with anxiety n depression caused by it!! grrrr what meds if any are u taking ?
    x

Hi molkogirl I really do understand all of what you have said. I have had some horrendous thoughts usually about the most important people in my life like my son or my little cat because you tend to focus on things that you care about mose and this creates the most dread and fear and then when the doubt creeps in it's like "Oh God what if I did it, what if I really don't care, am I evil etc etc?". It is the most tormenting thing and so hard to explain it has made me feel physically ill and at times suicidal. At the moment I am on a pretty even keel, thought wise, though I still have the germ fear stuff that can drive me nuts at time. On the whole though, I am reasonably okay and have even started part time work. It's really important to share these fears, because keeping it inside makes it worse and more scary and isolating. I have told friends and even my son (he is 22 and wonderful) and they are all supportive and lovely and say to me...."Ellie it's the OCD, it's your mind playing tricks". What also helps me is to write my fears down and try to challenge them, this really helps me because when I look at it on paper it kind of loses it's power...it may not work for everyone though. Please message me anytime if you need to..Ellie.

Sarah; Claire Weeks has some wonderful C.D.'s and books that would definitely answer your question. Why not make it one of your priorities to get hold of some of her work? She really is a Godsend.

Good luck, Vince

Thread Information