Thread: blood test results and panic

blood test results and panic

hello can anybody offer me any advice. Had routine blood tests done on thursday,friday the docs rang saying i needed to repeat them again in a weeks time as my white blood count was a little low. My normal reading is 4.4 and it was 3.6. Im sooooooo worried it might be something serious like lukemia i cant cope or think straight for worrying. All other bloods were fine and i dont feel poorly apart from having HA symptoms which iv had for over a year. please can any1 help

Re: blood test results and panic

I think the white blood cell count can go down if you have had an infection of any kind but I can't be 100% sure.

Just get them re-checked and see what they say then

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you. Doc said that if it was anything like lukemia that white blood count is usually high but can be low too. Im just scared and cant stop thinking about it.

Are you on any medication as well?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

on 40mg citralopam

If there was any possibility you had any blood cancer then your Dr would not say repeat tests in a week believe me. It is almost 100% certain that either medication or infection is affecting your results hence the retest.

Having worked at a Drs and had 3 friends with blood cancers I know that their blood results were completely off the wall and were admitted to hospital same day.

Sorry to hear about your friends countrygirl. I just cant help but worry about everything all the time. Its a nightmare and i hate living like this.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Any1 else had similar experiance with blood test and what was the outcome? Was everything ok????

Shelley, exactly the same thing happened to me a few years ago. Like you, my mind went into overdrive and I was imagining all sorts of things. In fact, I almost passed out on my way out of the surgery. My tests were repeated a couple of weeks later and came back normal. All I could put it down to was being run down as I'd been extremely anxious for weeks prior to this and feeling really unwell, hence the blood tests.
    I know what you're going through so I won't say don't worry about it as that's impossible - just try to distract yourself. Take care - I'm sure you'll be ok. P x

Hi shelley,
    Ditto here. I've got to have repeat bloods done this week after the last ones which were checking my anaemia was improving showed low WCC - 3.4. I've had no infections and been quite well, so no idea why they are low.
    As far as I can see a low white cell count can just be a one off or due to a recent infection, but not usually a sign of leukaemia.

Thanks for replys its great to know im not on my own with all the worrying. Thats why i had the bloods to see if my anaemia was improving and it was ok this time. As thought it might be low as im consatantly dizzy and feel like im going to fall over. I hate feeling like this!!!!!

Thread Information