Thread: constantly checking the door is locked and house empty

constantly checking the door is locked and house empty

Does anyone else thoroughly check the house for intruders once entering the house, by this i mean checking in wardrobes and behind doors etc. I do this religiously everytime i come home and im alone in the house. I cant rest untill i have checked there is no one there, a constant fear. i also make sure the doors are locked numerous times. this is OCD and am told by my counsellor that its all linked to my anxiety.... anyone else have these thoughts?
    thanks
    Chelle x

Re: constantly checking the door is locked and house empty

hi
    i dont check if anyones in the house when i come in, but then i have 2 big dogs, so i guess i dont need to, as they would know if someone was there!, but i do over check all the doors , windows are locked before going to bed...and before going out.. and the gas cooker knobs are off etc ,... its defo ocd/anxiety...im getting better, not checking as much now...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsky View Post
    hi
    i dont check if anyones in the house when i come in, but then i have 2 big dogs, so i guess i dont need to, as they would know if someone was there!, but i do over check all the doors , windows are locked before going to bed...and before going out.. and the gas cooker knobs are off etc ,... its defo ocd/anxiety...im getting better, not checking as much now...

Hi Stormsky - thanks for your reply. I did wonder if it was related but as i have only just found out i have GAD i didnt put the two and two together. i am paranoid about making sure gas knobs are off and kettle switch or hair straighteners etc. how did you get better, what was it that said you didnt need to check anymore?? thanks x

Checking is ocd.. same here im always worried i turned the iron off too! ive just trained and allow myself to check everything couple times only... i used to spend ages at the cooker, and also at the front door as i left home... i walk off and then go back and check front door again, then get in car start to pull away, then stop get out and go check again..im sure ive neally broke the handle!! it used to make me sick, as i didnt want to do it... so now i dont.... like i say just a couple times now, so at night, i go round lock everything etc, then go round and check again.. then no matter how much my mind says check again, i say NO, ive done it twice... and it must be locked or the door wouldve opened when i tried it the 2nd time! you start to feel better and find it easier to let go eventually...

i know exactly what you mean i lock the back door, go back to it make sure its locked, get in the car start to drive off then stop and run back to check the door.... why??? its already been checked lol. first i thought i was losing my memory i have to learn to say no to my brain i think. it is a relief to know its not just me though. this site is so helpful x

To be honest i find it easier not to check if the dogs arent in the house, for example, if we are taking them for a walk, i just lock the door and walk away... i think alot of my fear is worrying when leaving them, making sure they are safely locked in and no one can steel them...making sure gas hob etc off, so house wont burn with them in it!! and at night making sure no one gets in FULL STOP! What causes your need to check so much??

funny you should say that i have a cat and i keep her in when im out so perhaps the same reason.i dont want her to come to any harm and i guess i have a fear of somebody being in my house when i get home or somebody coming in when we are in bed, although i have my fiance here if anybody did come in but i still worry about itxx

Quote Originally Posted by _nataliebeebaybee View Post
    yeah im like that with checking the plugs before i leave the house and my counsiler said its linked to my dad telling me everyday to do this, I check whether my tabs out like 10000000000 times and even straighteners aswell! its horrible but I now know how to control it I have to say PLUGS - OFF , OFF, CIGERETTE, OUT , OUT, DOOR, LOCKED, LOCKED. and this seems to work for me haha! I take a mental picture in my head aswell xxx
    Hi Nat, thats clever that i shall give it a try , thank you xx

Thread Information