Thread: Different Brands of Mirtazpine - do you guys notice a difference?

Different Brands of Mirtazpine - do you guys notice a difference?

Hello All

Just got my new prescription, and have noticed a different brand of the Mirt that was given. Mirtazpine (by arrow generics). I am assuming all brands are the same and have the same effect? Have you guys noticed a difference in trying different brands? Does anyone use Mirt arrow generics?

Thanks in advance

Nahdia

Re: Different Brands of Mirtazpine - do you guys notice a difference?

All brands are chemically identical, you will have the exact same experiences with a generic name as a branded one. The only difference is that generic tablets are considerably cheaper (:

There shouldn't be any difference but when I first took mirtazapine I noticed a difference between the brands. I was very sensitive to any changes. It would be good to have the same brand each time. I have problems with the mirt being white as they are the same colour as the lithium I take. Sometimes the are red shiny or matt and sometimes lozenge shape also difficult with the lithium as the 200mg are the same shape and size. I'm sure you'll get used to it. Unless you know the pharmacist really well you can't insist on a particular brand. I used to have the 'teva' pack as they were easy to take and you would know which day of the week you are on. I take far fewer tablets than I used to (overmedicated and rattled!) so they might fit in one of those pill dispenser things. It is hard but if you notice any significant changes consult your GP. He might be kind enough to specify a particular brand on your script. EJ.

Thank you both.

I am due to start it tomorrow, so will see what happens! Will try not to overthink it, as that can be a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Nahdia

Hi, i dont notice any difference between brands.
    Dont worry about it, you will be fine

I have been on the same brand of mirtazipine for over a year up until last Monday when they gave me a different brand. I've had a weekend from hell. Contacted the pharmacy today and explained to them and they have told me to stop using the ones I have as I had a reaction to this brand so getting original brand later today. I was unaware that this can happen but after speaking to pharmacist it does happen. So if you are ever unsure check with your pharmacy.

I have asked my pharmacist because different brand DO make me feel different at first when they switch me. I even developed some mild symptoms of seretonin syndrome with one switch but I waited it out and was ok. They have different fillers. Same active ingredient, but not identical.
    *it isn't common to get seretonin syndrome from mirtazipine though! I'm not saying it will cause it*

I see that this question was asked a while ago, but I thought I would chime in for the sake of anyone else wondering.

I have been on Mirtazapine for roughly 2 years now with great results until this week when I had a brand change. My old brand was Mylan-Mirtazapin and the new one is Pms-Mirtazapine. I realize that as an anxiety sufferer that this could have been all in my head, but I actually paid little mind to it when the pharmacist advised me of the brand change.

I got my new prescription this past Monday and by Thursday (yesterday) my anxiety was skyrocketing. My body was going into fight or flight mode and I just felt an overbearing sense of doom. And then I remembered the brand change. I still feel it today, so I called my psychiatrist. He confirmed that this is very possibly due to the brand change. They have variances in how close the active ingredients need to be. So some brands might be a bit high, some might be a bit low just as long as they are within a certain range.

I hope to adapt over the weekend, but my psychiatrist is going to call the pharmacy to see if it's possible to get the other brand in for me just in case.

I really wish pharmacies wouldn't change brands like that on these sensitive medications.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie House Mouse View Post
    it isn't common to get seretonin syndrome from mirtazipine though! I'm not saying it will cause it
    Not only is it uncommon, it is impossible as mirtazapine has no affect on either the serotonin transporters, or on the synthesis and release of the neurotransmitter. Furthermore, its only significant impact on serotonin (5-HT) is the blocking of 5-HT2a receptors and the standard treatment for serotonin syndrome/toxicity (SS/ST) are the more potent 5-HT2a blockers cyproheptadine and chlorpromazine.

To quote arguably the world's leading SS/ST expert, Dr Ken Gillman, "As I have pointed out before, drugs like bupropion and mirtazapine, that have no significant serotonergic activity, are no more likely to cause ST than is vitamin C " (PK Gillman, 2010 PDF).

Serotonin syndrome is much rarer than Dr Google would have us believe.

Thread Information