Thread: New to Propranolol

New to Propranolol

I am one of those people that gets very hung up on side effects. I have been given several lots of medication to try some for my IBS some for my Anxiety..

It all sounds great whilst talking to the Doctor. I get the medication, get home have a read or a google (i know i shouldnt) and then get totallty put off by it all. I have GAD and a Phobia of being Sick with a possible bit of OCD when it comes to my unhelpful thinking patterns.

I have been given 10mg of Propranolol - it states on box one three times a day but im pretty sure my doctor said to just take them when i felt anxious. I have read they might make you drowsy and have sight problems - im currently learning to drive and im scared if i take them i will have an accident on my driving lesson. I know i might not get those side effects BUT my anxiety sometimes tells me i have problems i dont so part of me thinks i will then just think i have sight problems.

I know i probably sound stupid for being this way and being to scared to take medication but i dont want to feel any worse than i do. I try to manage my anxiety with CBT and self help books/courses instead of medication but at times i want something to take the edge off but i think im looking for a miracle cure.

Re: New to Propranolol

I take Atenolol , another beta blocker , it helps with heart palpitations , sweaty palms etc , ie the physical side of anxiety , but the mental side remains Im afraid. I take 1 x 50mg tablet each day in the morning. Not had any side effects that Im aware of.

Hey there.

I am on 80mg a day, that was what I started on and have been on ever since and touch wood can say I have had no side effects with propranolol. I think side effects vary from person to person, I think sometimes the best thing you can do is jump in and try. I could not see my life without propranolol now, its really taken the edge off my migraines and made my life a little more easy to live.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyC View Post
    I am one of those people that gets very hung up on side effects. I have been given several lots of medication to try some for my IBS some for my Anxiety..

It all sounds great whilst talking to the Doctor. I get the medication, get home have a read or a google (i know i shouldnt) and then get totallty put off by it all. I have GAD and a Phobia of being Sick with a possible bit of OCD when it comes to my unhelpful thinking patterns.

I have been given 10mg of Propranolol - it states on box one three times a day but im pretty sure my doctor said to just take them when i felt anxious. I have read they might make you drowsy and have sight problems - im currently learning to drive and im scared if i take them i will have an accident on my driving lesson. I know i might not get those side effects BUT my anxiety sometimes tells me i have problems i dont so part of me thinks i will then just think i have sight problems.

I know i probably sound stupid for being this way and being to scared to take medication but i dont want to feel any worse than i do. I try to manage my anxiety with CBT and self help books/courses instead of medication but at times i want something to take the edge off but i think im looking for a miracle cure.
    10mg is very low so they shouldn't make you drowsy. I was on 40mg which i could take 3 times a day. Try to ignore the sheet that comes in the box as it will just scare you. The side effects are only worst case. I didn't have any side effects. They don't really help with the mental thoughts but they do take the edge of the heart racing which might help if your anxiety isn't so bad.

I have had a terrible day and felt totally on edge so decided to pop my first! and see what happens. Thanks for the replies i just need something to calm me a little.

Crazy C,

You will be fine I am very sure.

10mg is a very low dose but will help take the edge off.

I was on 40mg 3 x day which gradually reduced over a period of 5/6 months. Now I take when when needed but I have not felt the need.

Propranolol has worked real wonders for me and I can not praise them enough. Just take them and try not to think too much about it if possible.

I am certain they will work for you and after an hour since taking it do you feel any different?

I wish you well.
    Last edited by KC26; 07-02-12 at 20:31. Reason: More info

I have just started to take propranolol, I decided that i would take the first ones when i
    wasn't feeling very anxious and when i had nothing planned, that way if i did get some
    unpleasant sensations or side effects then i could maybe take less or take another trip
    to my GP. Your experiences sound very similar to mine, the dosage of propranolol is scaled to your body size so if you are a petite person thats most likely why you have a
    lower dosage and also MY GP said that it is better to start on a lower dose and get your
    body used to it as it will reduce unwanted side effects like the light headedness etc.

If i were you, i'd try it out on a day where you have nothing (or very little) planned. I
    was worried about driving so i chose an early evening when i knew i would not be going
    out, and take one. Maybe do this a couple of times if possible then when you actually
    need it you will have developed some confidence in its effectiveness OR you would have experienced side effects you dont like and can visit your GP for a different prescription.

Really hope they work for you!

All the best,

Friendly, non-judgmental listener,
    Also a Huge fan of CBT
    Meditation & Exercise

A free series of audio downloads introducing mindfulness and meditation are available from HERE

Thread Information