Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else been obsessed with Solipsism

Anyone else been obsessed with Solipsism

Solipsism used to really panic me... id manage to get through it and forget it..rationalise its just a theory... but it pops back from time to time, like today for some reason... I managed to find a good site, which puts it into perspective and makes me feel better, so i have to read that everytime it pops in my mind...
    anyone else have problems with it??

I would say if you dont know what it is, then DONT google it... i didnt want to post incase it causes worry, but this site is for us to get reassurance, and just felt today i needed to know im not alone ..

Re: Anyone else been obsessed with Solipsism

Sorry I have never heard of it!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hey,

well when I was doing Philosophy a-level we covered this and it did play on my mind a bit but as you said its only a theory and its not accepted as being likely. And it can't be proven either. I read an article which said if you had 10 solipsists in a room, which one would be the original being with only his/her own thoughts?

Why does it affect you so much do you think?

What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by crystal17 View Post
    Hey,

Why does it affect you so much do you think?
    i guess it the part below bothers me.. but then surely the only true sopilsists is GOD himelf...
    1.2. The Subconscious Self is the Only True God
    If the self created all of the universe and all of history as a feat of the imagination, it seems quite odd that we do not have an inherent understanding that this is the case. It is odd that we do not have immense superpowers. If all beings are the result of private reflection, and the universe is a game, created to entertain ourselves, it seems that the rules of physics and the limits of time and space could all be abandoned on a whim. Does anyone have these powers? Apparently not. The solipsist belief system must therefore explain why the ultimate truth of reality is so damn well hidden!
    The best explanation is that the godly solipsist self creates the universe as required as part of a game in order to pass time, interest itself, and avoid boredom. But the best way to do this, as an omnipotent being, is to play an active part in the game. This requires severely limiting one's own power. So, the solipsist's subconscious created the universe, but hides this state of affairs from its own consciousness. Therefore, solipsism is arrived at through philosophy, not through instinctive belief or through the self demonstrating creative powers to itself. Only by dividing itself into an ignorant conscious self, ruled by an omnipotent subconscious self, could true boredom-averting procrastination be achieved.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by paula lynne View Post
    What is it?
    a belief that there is only one conciousness and everything else is imagined

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

http://www.humantruth.info/solipsism.html

Hi Stormsky,

If you are asking others outside of you for their opinions, then you cannot be a solipsist, at least in the sense of believing that yours is the only consciousness.

This board is based on the idea that there are people out there who are living different lives from us but can help us with their shared ideas.

Hanshan
    Last edited by hanshan; 19-01-12 at 10:45.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Stormsky,

If you are asking others outside of you for their opinions, then you cannot be a solipsist.

But even if it's true, can you say why it makes you anxious? I suppose that there are some people who would love to be alone in the universe. Is it this that makes you anxious?

Hanshan
    no i totally get that i am not a solipsist.. else why dont i know it and why dont i have super powers, ultimate happiness etc.. its the bit that says the true solipsist creates another being of himself to play in the game, one that doesnt know he is the solipsist..

Hi Stormsky,

The idea that human beings have a limited consciousness that is dependent on an ultimate being with ultimate consciousness is basic to most world religions.

Hanshan

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Stormsky,

The idea that human beings have a limited consciousness that is dependent on an ultimate being with ultimate consciousness is basic to most world religions.

Hanshan
    thats true, thanks

I think therefore I am confused, as a famous philosopher once put it (me!). Now I know why I dropped philosophy at college - you end up tying yourself in knots.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information