Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Experiences with EMDR?

Re: Experiences with EMDR?

I don't know about memories that are untrue, but I have dreams that make absolutely no sense to me. My therapist says that it doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense to me, it is what my brain needs to do right now. So I would assume that could also translate to false memories, it is what your brain needs to express.

Elad - It would be worth talking to a therapist about and getting a consultation. I guess the brain processes trauma in different areas and using EMDR helps it to put together the events and the emotions ... It's really hard to explain. But the mugging could be a traumatic experience for you, also there may be other things that it can help with. My therapist has said that she has seen a lot of success using EMDR for other places where people just seem to be "stuck" during normal talk therapy. So I'm not sure, but it could be worth a consult.

It is difficult though. It dredges up a LOT of emotions that I did not know i had and has been scary at times. From what I've learned, it will be worth it. So I'm willing to give anything a shot at this point.

Going again in a few hours for another session.

Well, I had another session of EMDR. The sessions do something to my insides, I cannot stop burping!!! My throat goes tight and I feel sick. Apparantly my anxiety levels had fallen from 9 or 10 out of ten to 9, then 8, then 7 or 8, but this week it had gone up again to 8 or 9. I have had twice as many, well two and a half times as many panic attacks this last ten days, the anxiety has been awful. The Psychiatrist apparantly suggested I go back on Diazepam. No way, I was getting addicted to those. Why exchange one problem for another? I seem really down and depressed despite being on Fluoxetine (Prozac) and am not sleeping. To be honest I dread sleeping because of the nightmares. Surely there must be an improvement soon. The sessions seem to leave me sad and with a feeling like it has happened again to me, they seem to refresh the memories....... but why can't my head deal with them better? Sorry if I seem negative... this is just an honest update after each session.

I asked my therapist about EMDR and she feels it's not appropriate with a history of abuse over a long period of time. I guess I have to go with her knowledge; horses for courses and all that.

For those of us with a chance of a significant improvement I would grab the chance.....?
    Doxy
    x

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information