Thread: Anyone heard of Duloxetine?

Anyone heard of Duloxetine?

Just been to the doctor's about starting some new meds and after trying Cipralex with some success in the past he suggested something new for me for which he has had good results - Duloxetine. Trouble is I can't find any mention of it here unless I am missing it.

So, can anyone tell me anything about Duloxetine???? All help appreicated because it is scary enough taking meds without having anyone to share experiences with???

Help!

Sam (The Raven)

Re: Anyone heard of Duloxetine?

Im sure you prob already googled it, i just did and found this-

Duloxetine (sold under the brand names Cymbalta, Ariclaim, Xeristar, Yentreve, Duzela) is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) manufactured and marketed by Eli Lilly. It is effective for major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Duloxetine failed the US approval for stress urinary incontinence amidst concerns over liver toxicity and suicidal events; however, it was approved for this indication in Europe, where it is recommended as an add-on medication in stress urinary incontinence instead of surgery.[1] It can also relieve the symptoms of painful peripheral neuropathy, particularly diabetic neuropathy,[2][3] and it is used to control the symptoms of fibromyalgia.

Hi
    Ive been on Duloxetine for 5 weeks now and it has given me my life back!!!

My anxiety and panic are much easier to deal with,and I feel like I am human again.

Meds have different results for everyone and it really is trial and error, but for me this one really does work.

Hope this helps

Loreen x

Not had any personal experience but have a good friend of mine who has been taking it since November under the brand Cymbalta and last time we spoke he said he had found it working well with his depression.

I dont recall him mentioning any serious side effects and think the transition went well for him.

As afore mentioned everything works different for different people go with it and just keep GP in the picture if any problems.

Hi there

Thank you for these responses Stormsky, bignik and Loreen. And a special thanks to you Loreen for your positive words. I am thrilled you have found a drug that is working for you so well and I truly hope you continue to do so.

I am sure your enthusiasm will boost others.

In saying that I am afraid I am still nervous about taking these drugs as Loreen's wonderful words of advocacy for the drug aren't, sadly, matched in many other places. As there are so few references to the drug (also known as Cymbalta) on this site - which worried me a bit as this site seems so comprehesive and up to date - I had to go looking elsewhere and I am afraid I didn't find much reassurance.

I know a lot of people post when they have had bad experiences but they also tend to when they have had very good ones too (like Loreen) and I am afraid good ones are very rare indeed for this drug. I have used Cipralex two or three times and have always found as many good reports as bad even on the most critical of sites and I am wondering whether I should go down that familair route again as I have had success there before. To be honest I was initially quite excited (Ok that is pushing it!) about trying something different but now I am not so sure...

Anyway thank again Loreen and I am delighted duloxetine has worked our for you. The jury is still out for me though (I have been battling going on meds at all and this has just made it worse!) and my prescription is still in my pocket.

Thanks for reading...

Sam (The Raven)

Hi,
    I started on Citalopram 2 years ago then was moved to Sertraline, then 3 months ago moved again to Venlafaxine but increased BP has seen my doc move me onto Duloxetine 60mg - took the first one last night so too early to see what it may do for me. All I will say though, is I trust my doc and if she feels this can help then I'm giving it a go. Like all meds they may or may not have side effects (night sweats on Sertraine and Venlafaxine were horrendous for me) and like all meds if they work they are great and if they don't then they're not. It's up to you at the end of the day whether you take them or not - but best wishes either way.

This has really given me hope so thank you. I start mine today and am a bit apprehensive. Hope you are still doing well x

I struggled with Cymbalta in 6 long months and it gave me the horrible panic attacks which I still have and try to get rid of with help of Fluoxetine.

I went onto this after I came off Citalopram and had a break when things spiralled again.

It was strange in terms of side effects because with Citalopram it was constant whereas with Duloxetine it came and went. I remember having a good few days and then a really bad few days of waking to incredidle adrenaline rushes that I never experienced before (I knew it was I have had the same experience with a sports supplement combo that was just too strong for me).

On the bad days which could last up to 8 days at worst, the anxiety was greatly increased and found myself standing up constantly.

After about 5 weeks, things started to change and it reduced but it took me sometime to come back down form all this but I was the same after the Citalopram as I find I struggle with going on these things but less so coming off them.

Thread Information