Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member just started on mirtazapine.

Re: New member just started on mirtazapine.

Wow so weird unless someone has registered on my behalf, this is my story.

Im 20 but Im utterly mega screwed up in a life, I tryed citalopram it didnt suit at all spent a month at 10mgs after starting at 20mgs and quit all awful.

I was then given mirtazapine but havnt taken it yet. Well I took two pills my biggest concern is the weight gain Im scared to commit incase i pile on the pounds.

Ive seen people on certain meds balloon uncontrolably, let us know how u get on with weight gain

Okay thanks for all the replys. I thought i would give a update as im now on day 5 of these tablets. My first two nights were much better as i have said earlyer. But the 3rd 4th and last night wasnt as good.
    Last night was the worst and i got about 2 an a half hours before going back into my usually sleep/waking pattern of every 30mins to a hour. Hopefully things will improve in that respect. Im still feeling tired in the day but i can get up and about the house alot more/easyer than the first couple of days.

My depression hasnt changed to be honest but its early days for that so im not concerned about that yet.

I have noticed i have much more of a apatite whereas before on citalopram i virtually didnt want to eat at all.

Ive got mixed feelings about mirtazapine at the moment mostly due to the rollercoaster of a ride ive been on since ive first visited the docs. However one of my dads mates told me he has been taking mirtazapine for 10 years now and he swears by the stuff and has had good results so thats helped me put up with the side effects im currently experencing, plus hearing from everyone else who has commented on this thread has helped too.

Ill update again in a week or so.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Jacob,

All sounds pretty normal to me. It can take 4-6 weeks before noticing a difference in the depression and 30-45mg is usually the thereputic dose (they say) for that.

Lets hope you are heading in the right direction.

Keep posting.

Jo.x

hi jacob.im on 45mg mirtaz and 150 quetiapin.go to bed bout 10.30.wake bout 7.00am but still get anxiety through day.5 weeks on highest dose.doesnt seem to be happening for me..although none of other treads ive read are taking quetiapin(mood stableiser)must see my doc about that one.hope it works for you.gud luck dinky doo2

hey jacob,
    I have been taking Mirtazapine for 2 days, and experienced amazing sleep at night, which is a bonus for me. Being groggy/spaced out during the day is not so fun, and the less said about having an increased appetite, the better
    I am hopeful that the grogginess will wear off, and having previously tried Citalopram and Sertraline, also hoping that this will be the med for me. I have started Mirtazapine because a consultant psych recomended it as effective for PTSD.
    I hope it works for you, and that the unpleasant side effects subside v soon
    keep us updated
    x

where there is life, there is hope

Hi ptsd etc and to the forum.
    That's interesting that your psych recommended mirt as effective for PTSD.

The daytime grogginess will pass, although you may still have some trouble peeling yourself off the mattress in the mornings. But trust me once you're up and about you'll be good to go, as the sleepy feeling wears off super quick.

Keep posting and let us know how you're getting on. Lots of friendly people on the forum who'll try to give you some feedback - especially in the "Mirtazapine Club"

Belle x

Thanks for all the comments guys & gals.

Quote Originally Posted by ptsd_etc View Post
    hey jacob,
    I have been taking Mirtazapine for 2 days, and experienced amazing sleep at night, which is a bonus for me. Being groggy/spaced out during the day is not so fun, and the less said about having an increased appetite, the better
    I am hopeful that the grogginess will wear off, and having previously tried Citalopram and Sertraline, also hoping that this will be the med for me. I have started Mirtazapine because a consultant psych recomended it as effective for PTSD.
    I hope it works for you, and that the unpleasant side effects subside v soon
    keep us updated
    x
    Ive been back to the docs today as i have been on these tablets for 2 weeks now.
    The groggy feelings have worn off so hopefully you will start feeling better in the day aswell. For me it took about a week before that went.

I still have bouts of dizzyness a few times throughout the day but im not spaced out anymore which is good.

Unfortunatly my sleep hasnt improved much apart from that when i wake up in the night i can get back to sleep really quickly which the doc says is a good start.

The doc has also up'ed me to 30mg of these tablets to try and help with the sleep so i will see what thats like tonight.

She also wants me to go to the local mental health group which i was reluctant to do at the start but she insists that it may help me out with different ways to cope with mood swings and bursts of anger lol. She also said that hopefully if i start going to these sessions that in the long run i will be able to slowly come of the tablets which im sceptical about.

All in all after 2 weeks of mirtazapine I have to say sleep is abit better (but not much) and the side effects are no where near as bad as when i was on citalopram. I have put on abit of weight and i am eating more than before which is annoying but hey.

Look forward to hearing from you all as its nice to hear from others.

Regards

Jacob

Hi everyone. Just thought i would post a quick update. After a few months on mirtazipine, i have to say things are much brighter. Im no longer anxious about going to sleep as im usually asleep 30 mins - 1 hour which is great. Im coping alot better with my depression which is good. I thought that my tablets were making me tired during the daytime but it turns out i have a problem with my liver which is causing me to feel so tired in the day. So unfortunaly that means hospital appointments and tests but at least i should be back on my feet sooner rather than later.

All in all i feel that mirtazipine has helped so much, and would recommend to anyone starting out on it to stick with it for a month or so and see how you get on with it.

That's wonderful Jacob! Sorry to hear that you have a problem with your liver, but it's good that you found out about it. People can put things down to the side effects of a medication, when sometimes there is an underlying medical condition.
    Overall I think mirt is a good med too and would also recommend that anyone thinking about taking it should at least give it a try

I hope you feel better soon. Take care now.

Belle x

Hi I am Adam i don't know how's this works but here goes I am 35 I was in the army I suffered bad with depression and alcohol I used to take cit 40mg and came off them cold turkey thinking I was ok I wasn't really I met girl of dreams and wanted to change I stopped drinking and had health kick lost 2 and half stone currently I was month in and need to control my moods so went to docs and put back on cit 20mg well I was like a zombie so went back and put on 15mg Mirt my mood improves but not 100% I recently lost that girl due to moods so went back after two week trail and he upped my dose to 30mg I feel really bad today weak worthless hope this passes I just want to know is this just because of increased dose and will it get better as only day 3 on 30mg?? Thanks all of u in advance Adam X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information