Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member just started on mirtazapine.

New member just started on mirtazapine.

Hello everyone! I have been a bit of a lurker here reading different threads from people on here. Ive finaly thought i would sign up and post my experences so far.

Im 20 and have been struggling with drepression for the last 5/6 years. I finally got myself to the docs about 6 weeks ago and they put me straight on 20 mg of citalopram. Unfortunantly citalopram didnt agree with me, on 20 mg i was layed out on the sofa for a week and was very confused, so the docs told me to go on 10 mg for 5 days and then try 20 mg again. On 10mg the confusion lifted but i still felt dizzy.

So last week the docs put me on mirtazapine which i started last night. My sleep has always been bad. I would constantly wake up and just could not get a good nights sleep.

Last nights sleep was much better. I was able to get to sleep within 30 mins of getting in bed and stayed asleep for a solid 4 and a half hours then i started waking up alot although i was able to get back to sleep alot easyer.

However this morning i feel so tired and week. I feel wobbly standing and im having difficultly concentrating. Hopefully this will get better with time and i have another appointment with my doc in two weeks time to see how im getting on with mirtazapine.

Not really sure what im acheiving in posting this but maybe it will help someone or someone with similar experence can relate their exprence.

Jacob.

Re: New member just started on mirtazapine.

Hi Jacob, I'm now on day 12 of mirt, and can assure you the drowsiness goes away after a few days. I didn't suffer too badly with drowsiness but I described it to my husband as feeling like my legs were wading through treacle sometimes (paricularly at night if I need to get up for anything after having taken the mirt).

Other than the mirt knocking me out at night (which I see as a good thing), I haven't had any of the awful side effects that usually accompany SSRI's (if you've tried any you may know what I mean). I get hungry at bed time after taking the mirt so take a snack with me, and I sometimes have a few aching joints in the morning but nothing major.

For me, all in all, so far so good.

Hi Jacob,

Sorry to hear that you have been struggling with depression...its good that you recognised it and went for help from your GP.

I have suffered for some years on and off where I have a few different kinds of meds, mostly citalopram which was successful most of the time 2 years ago I suffered again and this time it would not work for me so my GP but me on mirtazipine...best thing I ever did. I used to be a dreadful sleeper and would often wake in the early hours suffering with anxiety etc and would find it very difficult to get off back to sleep. I found it helped so much with this along with everything else.

Mirtazipine had very little in the way of side effects unlike when I started on citalopram (dreadful side effects).

What dose are you taking? The side effects you describe are perfectly normal and will wear off in time as you get used the new meds.

Its good you have a follow up appointment with your GP so you can discuss any concerns.

There are a few of us on here take mirtazipine so you will get lots of first hand support...I know I found this site (and still do) so helpful as the people on here know how you are feeling and it really helps with the recovery.

I hope that you benefit from the meds as I have and hope you are feeling better soon.

Take care
    Jo.x

Thankyou for the replys.

Jo: i have been give 15 mg on mirtazapine to be taken at night. It was great to have 4 and a half hour on constant sleep and hopefully i will have a even better sleep tonight.

Lauz_Lea: the feelings you describe of walking through treacle i can relate with. I also bumped into things when i got up in the nit and felt rather unsteady but i managed to get back to sleep quite quickly after waking up.

Hopefully tonight will be better and its nice to hear from others that the drowsiness in the day will get better in time.

Jacob

Hi Jacob and welcome to NMP
    Great to hear that you plucked up the courage to tell your GP how you were feeling I agree with the others that the side effects you are experiencing so far are very common to mirtazapine. The day time drowsiness does go, but the first thing in the morning peeling yourself off the bed drowsiness seems to linger for a lot of people. For myself, once I'm up and have had a cup of tea I'm good to go.

Take care and let us know how you are progressing - best of luck.
    Belle x

Hi Jacob, I bumped into a few things too and messed up my words a fair bit (but I laughed it off rather than let it bother me).

I've had some very entertaining dreams too, but on the whole, I've slept really well - the first few nights felt like I'd had an anesthetic (sorry, spelling may be wrong), but now it just feels likes a normal good nights sleep. I've started taking my mirt a little later each night so if I go off to sleep naturally before hand it's a bonus.

I've got everything crossed for you that it mirt does the trick - it's working for me very well so far so I'm glad to have started on it at this point.

Well last night I got another 4 and half to 5 hours of solid sleep so thats good. I dont feel as bad today but still feel doped up. The dreams ive had have been crazy but im used to that anyways as ive always had pritty bonkers dreams just these ones seem more vivid.

I do remember waking up once in the night after having a bad/somewhat disconcerting dream but i dont remember anything about that dream I just know i woke up once feeling very agitated from the dream but i was so tired i went straight back to sleep.

Hopefully i wont get too many of those types of dreams. All in all two nights in and my sleep seems alot better compared to what i was used to getting when i went to bed.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

I still get lots of wierd dreams and I only now take 7.5mg...I would much rather that than be awake in the early hours feeling anxious like I used to be...some of the dreams can be rather nice...hopefully yours will settle down.

Take care.
    Jo.x

I've had the vivid dreams, most are about nothing in particular and I don't always remember them, some are great and one was bad, but I am happily getting up to 10 hours sleep most nights, sometimes less, but certainly not the few restless hours I was getting.

I've had some good days so far, but some not so good too (in terms of moods at least), today wasn't so good cause I had a docs appointment which always makes me anx, but there's still plenty of hours left in the day and I always pick up in the afternoon.

Hi Jacob - I experienced really vivid dreams at the start, but now I just get a couple a week. Mine are usually (and strangely) about my first love

Belle x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information