Thread: Starting Prozac Tomorrow....Nervous

1. Starting Prozac Tomorrow....Nervous

Hey all! Just a little background about myself. I suffer from health anxiety, depression and OCD (pure O). I was on Effexor XR for 8 years, but due to the awful way it made me feel (like a zombie) and losing my insurance for a bit, I tapered off to nothing. While on Effexor, my anxiety was fine...no real problems. In the summer when I finally came off of it, my health anxiety and depression skyrocketed and I'm back to square one. I told my Dr. that I wanted to take something again, but NOT Effexor. She said that I should give Prozac a go. I have taken Prozac in the past (about 10 years ago), but for some reason I'm afraid something bad is going to happen to me if I start taking it. I know I'm being irrational, but a lot of my anxiety revolves around my health and being afraid to take a med for the first time. I know once I get through the first few days, I will be ok, but it's taking the plunge that is freaking me out? How did all of you get back your initial nervousness? I'm "managing" right now on no meds, but I want my energy and drive back. I miss them so I know that I need a little help. I'm going to take Prozac, but I just don't want a crazy panic attack the first time I swallow it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Starting Prozac Tomorrow....Nervous

I am on day 21 and I am sure you will be fine you may not suffer SE I have had the sickness and a bit of heightend anxiety.

I am sure you will be able to cope there is a lot of help on here from other people who are taking it. Good luck xx

Cathy xx

I started taking it a few days ago and I was nervous too. I asked for the liquid so I could control my intake and build up my dose as and when I wanted. I'm now taking a teaspoon full which equates to about 20mg. It's lovely to get a good nights sleep but on the downside, I have nausea and feel agitated. I'll stick it out and hope things get better. Good luck x

4. Re: Starting Prozac Tomorrow....Nervous

Thanks. Just took my second dose. the only thing I have noticed so far is I feel”activated”...its hard to explain...keeping my fingers crossed

Good luck, fourth letter, wishing you well.

6. Re: Starting Prozac Tomorrow....Nervous

So I had a but of a blip today. Was at work. Was doing some physical things...got a really bad hot flash and my face was flush. Shrugged it off and chalked it up to new med. Then I got a really bad palpitation. It was a hard flutter and took my breath away. Instant panic ensued. One thing I did notice is I recovered from the anxiety quicker than I'm used to. Maybe the meds?

Hi - new to this site - I was on Prozac 20mg for 15 years! and I found it fantastic - basically changed my life! I did have start up effects - like anxiety, panicky, feeling crappy, etc, but if you can stick it out it is so worth it. I felt, at the beginning, well I feel worse, this is not working - you must be patient, it depends how bad you feel in the first place! I became tolerant to it when I had a bereavement in October - but gave it a good run for its money, if you like - on Mirtazapine now and taking each day as it comes. Good Luck - stay with it - Laura

8. Re: Starting Prozac Tomorrow....Nervous

Thanks for the encouragement! Only symptom today is hot flashes in the evening again. What's weird is my body is normal, but my feet/hands get clammy and my face gets super hot. Trying not to worry. :(

Hi fourth letter I have been on Fluoxetine for a little under 2 years now, I remember being so nervous when I first went onto it but it was all so worth it, I know how you feel with the hot flashes/clammy hands and feet. I also had a very dry mouth for the first few weeks but stick with it and you will definitely feel the benefits.

Mike.

Thread Information