Thread: Cannot switch Off

Cannot switch Off

Hi Is anyone still awake I just cannot switch my mind off and am so tired this is second night awake does someone want to chat for help advice Please. Manda

Re: Cannot switch Off

Manda I just switched my computer on and saw your message. I really hope you are alright and managed to get some sleep. It's horrible when your mind goes around and around and hard enough dealing with these anxieties without the lack of sleep on top. Please message me anytime and also let me know how you are. Hugs.

Have you tried some relaxing music or maybe doing a little workout before bed?

I am really struggling with sleeping since last Saturday...keep waking up anxious, several times an hour. Been prescribed sleeping tablets, still woke up anxious and drowsy as hell to boot. Very fed up. Managed to sleep until 530am on half a tablet but was then anxious for three hours. Dreading the nights now :(

Hi thanks to everyone who took the time to reply....my sleep last night was not good did not get to sleep until 5.30am my mind and thoughts just won,t switch off the lack of sleep in turn is making the symptons of depersonalization and anxiety even worse so its just a vicious circle i am desperate to break and just don,t know how
    Lindy so sorry to hear of your sleeping problems, can i ask what sleeping tablets you take? i was given zoplicone by my gp but i won,t take it because keep reading how addictive it is.....so i would be to scared to take it anyway.
    Manda

That's really good advice to give to us, the only thing that I've been taught differently in my CBT sessions is not to use distractions as they are safety behaviours. However, I disagree with that advice as safety behaviours do help the situation and stops the mind from racing. When I can't sleep (like tonight) and my mind races I end up playing Bejeweled on my phone, a classic safety behaviour but it does distract my mind from going full panic.

Hang on in there and take Kat's advice, I know I will

Hello, I suffer from panic disorder& write my diary on a blog called confessions of panic disorder . blogspot . com without the spaces. I have been on medication and now go to counselling. I write the diary so that other sufferers of panic do not feel alone&can see someone else's personal journey through treatment and life. I hope this is helpful to you! xxx

I was given a meditation CD by a councellor. I fell asleep listening to it! The more you try and "switch off" the harder it is. So you need to divert your mind/thoughts somewhere else. (TimGawley has written some good books on this but under a Sporting Banner! The Inner Game of Golf....talks about managing the voices/thoughts in your head.

Worked for me! Good luck.....

Thread Information