Thread: Has anyone tried EMDR?

Has anyone tried EMDR?

I saw this stuff on TV once. It's supposed to be good against traumas and stuff like that. But I also read that it's not really proven to work. If this stuff really worked it would be a lot better than to spend endless hours talking to a therapist about your fears which in the end might only make the fears worse by always bringing them up again.

https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/wiki/eye...-reprocessing/
    Last edited by alecc; 27-01-12 at 00:06.

Re: Has anyone tried EMDR?

I alecc,

I am currently undergoing EMDR for treatment of my anxiety disorder which is believed to have sprung up due to various traumas from my past.

I have only done one session so far, but I can tell you that it seems to have a somewhat better effect on me than CBT didm, and I was in CBT for about a year and half. After this first session, I've noticed the actual trauma situation that I was told to focus on did become less upsetting to me, but this therapy has brought to the surface other more serious deep-rooted emotions, thoughts and feelings in the process, which I am inclined to think may actually be the true underlying reasons for much of my trauma and anxiety in my life.

Afterwards, I have also had strange dreams, random thoughts of things/situations that make me uncomfortable, crying spells, headaches and tiredness, but I hear this is all normal. And these are not nearly so bad if you have someone to support you! My husband has been a great help through all of this.

My next session is on Monday, and the next is an even more difficult trauma for me to focus on, but I am already certain I know the general theme surrounding my issues now. If this therapy has done one thing,it's helped clarify the seriousness of certain issues, which I think in the long run will help with treating my problems.

All I can say is from this first experience and from what I've read, but I do believe EMDR can work, and that it never hurts to try!
    If a patient has pretty big issues with dissociation, though, then getting and staying present should be done first before even considering EMDR (and I can see why, most definitely). You should also be able to trust the therapist. Luckily for me, my therapist of nearly two years is qualified to do EMDR.

Like any therapy, it could not work, but it also could! It's just a matter of trying it with an open mind and with the hope of getting better!

Hope this helps somewhat!

Quote Originally Posted by alecc View Post
    I saw this stuff on TV once. It's supposed to be good against traumas and stuff like that. But I also read that it's not really proven to work. If this stuff really worked it would be a lot better than to spend endless hours talking to a therapist about your fears which in the end might only make the fears worse by always bringing them up again.

https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/wiki/eye...-reprocessing/
    To suffer and be strong."

-H.W. Longfellow

I did this when I lived in Dubai and it did really help me. That alongside taking Citalapram.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie123 View Post
    I did this when I lived in Dubai and it did really help me. That alongside taking Citalapram.
    Sophie, where did you have the EMDR therapy in Dubai?

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

I have had EMDR twice over the last 7 years and with the right therapist it is brilliant!!!!

Thread Information