Thread: This is worrying me.. 3 years ago ECG fine, now 'abnormal' (normal variant?)

Exclamation This is worrying me.. 3 years ago ECG fine, now 'abnormal' (normal variant?)

Hi all,

In short, I was recently told that I have an abnormal tracing for my age.. and the nurse told me it could just be/or probably is a 'normal variant'
    When I did the stress ECG yesterday she said it had a pseudonormalization whilst exercising i.e it looked 'normal' during exercise. I only managed 3 minutes until I had to tell her to stop, by the way!
    I've had problems with palps and fatigue and various other symptoms for years, and about 3/4 years ago I was tested and then put through for 24hr monitor and echo, and apparently all was fine, I was never told I had an 'abnormal' ECG.

I'm 25, and don't understand why I would have this now and not back then. I do suffer more with fatigue now than ever and at the minute I never feel 'right'.

I stupidly Dr Googled, and I read about myocarditis infection and just kinda scared myself as I've been feeling so ill the last month! Anyone got any words of advice for me!?!
    Do you think the ECG could have had the abnormality years ago and they just didn't think it was anything to worry about?

Thanks for any response, realise this was lengthy!

Re: This is worrying me.. 3 years ago ECG fine, now 'abnormal' (normal variant?)

hi hope u get this post. im 34 year old with 3 kids. i suffer form chest pain and alot of symptoms every single day i have had ecgs blood tests tred test echo scanan doc said all was ok 3 years ago but i still have all these symptoms every ay i run to dos or a&e or phone for ambulance alot i get so embarrased but if u have pain u should they have caught somethng called a short pr and iverted t wave and couple more thngs but still my cordio doc said all is ok im in fear every day. i thnk that i will have cardiac arrest or stroke because i thnk doc r missing sumthng it it a worry but ur not alone.

Re: This is worrying me.. 3 years ago ECG fine, now 'abnormal' (normal variant?)

Hi,

A single abnormal ECG is often nothing to worry about. It could even be a misreading.
    Do you know what the supposed abnormality was?
    Where did you have the ECG taken?
    If you have had a normal stress test then that is excellent.
    A couple of years back I went to the A&E after having a panic attack on the way to work with pressure feelings in my chest.
    I had an ECG which was supposedly abnormal (left atrium) and had to wait to see the doctor at the hospital. When I saw him he could see I was clearly anxious. I had an a half marathon just that week too (hung over and tired ) He just gave me diazepam and sent me on my way. I have had plenty of normal ECG's before and a couple since this.
    So please try not to worry. I know it's easier said than done.
    When my "abnormal" ECG was taken I had my chain still on which may have interfered with the reading. Also if one of the electrode's is misplaced it can cause an abnormal reading.
    I hope this helps.

BW

Neil.

Thread Information