Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My strange journey with Mirtazapine

Re: My strange journey with Mirtazapine

Mono - if your GP is reluctant to prescribe this combination, you could ask to be referred to a psychiatrist. You're well within your rights to do this - although bear in mind that you could have to wait a while for an appointment. Or maybe there's another GP in the practice who's a bit more progressive and clued up on these meds?? But obviously see how things go first - you seem to be ok at the moment, but if this changes you could keep this in mind.
    I hope you continue to feel well.

Belle x

Thanks again Belle. How are you doing in general on the Mirt?

Day 31 on 15mg. I woke up feeling groggy and a bit anxious, had a cuppa, slice of toast. Started work, feeling good. I'm handling stuff better than I was a few weeks ago. I'm not feeling like the zombie I was on 30mg and I'm a lot more chatty. I know I'm not 100% right and probably never will be but something seems to be going on upstairs. OCD and obsessive thoughts have completely dissapeared.

Who would have ever thought that going DOWN a dose seems to be doing the trick. Maybe at the weekend I was too keen to try an SSRI and this needs longer? I do wish I'd stop asking myself so many bloody questions though, I really need to try and relax a bit more and let the medication do it's thing rather than scrutinize every little emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Monostich View Post
    Thanks again Belle. How are you doing in general on the Mirt?
    I'm doing quite well thanks Mono. For me it works as a kind of mild mood stabilizer really.... sort of irons out the ups and downs. I don't find it particularly helpful when very stressful events occur - I still get panicky and feel anxious.. but it does help to stop me from spiralling downward with the stress I have to say.
    I've been on it about 7 weeks now and the one thing that does disappoint me is that I still have food cravings. During my first bout with mirt last Summer the cravings disappeared after 3 weeks. From what I've read they usually go after a month or two with most people, so fingers crossed they'll pass with time.
    I really value the fact that it makes me feel so chilled before sleep - an absolute god-send that, especially when my neighbours are acting up!

Belle x

Belle,

Yeah it's one of the things that makes me stick with Mirt (the sleeping well!). I've had a fantastic day, I must say. Really hoping and praying that 15mg is going to be the dose that works for me long term.

The really weird thing for me is that I've never really had the cravings for food. When I started on Mirt, I was extremely overweight due to the binge drinking and eating rubbish. However, since last April, I've lost nearly 5 stone in weight and don't touch the booze anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still eat normally and I think the Mirt does aid me with this, but I'm nowhere near what I was like when I was on Paroxetine. That stuff had me eating all day and night for some reason!

Hi both - Glad to hear you're doing better Mono.

I'm exactly 3 weeks today on 15mg mirt and reduced the paroxetine to 10mg a week ago - dare I say it, but the meds feel like they're really starting to work

I lost soooooo much weight in the first 6 weeks back on paroxetine that I'm really quite glad of the munchies I get at bed time after taking the mirt (although I should probably avoid eating so much short bread, I keep waking up with crumbs in the bed).

I hope you're both doing well.

Thanks Belle and Lauz Lea

Day 32 on 15mg. I woke this morning feeling good, which is a first on Mirtazapine! I sang to myself as I got ready for work, which is a first!

That feeling of dread in my stomach wasn't there either, for the first time in AGES. I do, however, have a throbbing headache but I can live with that.

I think I am going to use this thread as a personal diary, so I can look back on it. Also, it might help other people who are starting Mirtazapine for the first time.

So glad you've had a good day Mono, waking up feeling better really helps. My mornings have been much better over the last few days - I'm not waking up anaylising myself and how I feel. My chair project has really centred my attention on something other than my thoughts and feelings and stopped me ruminating all day long.

I know 15mg is not classed as the "theraputic" dose, but it's obviously doing something positive for us, and long may it continue

Hi Mono,

So pleased that you sound like you are stablizing now...these things just take time and when you feel like we do at times you just cant wait to shake it off!!

I know for me mirtazipine really helped me out of a very dark place so I only have positive things to say about it though there are negatives such as weight gain etc but that has been dealt with now and the positives far out-weigh the negatives.

May it continue for you.

Take care
    Jo.x

Thanks again folks

Jo - Are you still taking Mirt if you don't mind me asking?

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Day 33 on 15mg. I am feeling good again today. Had slight anxiety when I woke up but nothing too major. Got ready for work with a smile on my face. One thing that is bothering me is I am having trouble seeing properly out of my right eye. When I close my left eye, it's obvious that I have slight blurred vision in the right eye. This also happened around Christmas but went away. Also, lights appear VERY bright to me but this has been the case since my Paroxetine days. I really should visit the doctor about this because it might not be related to Mirtazapine or my anxiety. Or do I go to an opticians?

Anyway, other than that - feeling good today

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information