Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive Mitazapine stories please

Positive Mitazapine stories please

Hiya,

I rejoined today after a long time away from the forum, I've been happy and content in life until December just gone. I have had some life events that have stirred it all up.

Anyway I've been taking fluoxetine and it is questionable about whether or not it is helping me, I am now back at work but I am still struggling more than my Dr would expect me to while on the Fluoxetine. So she is switching me to Mitaz. I was on 20mg Fluoxetine for 4 weeks, went up to 40mg for 2 weeks (no marked improvement), so now I am having 7 days at 20mg (currently day 6), then I will do 4 days with nothing (eeek). Then start the mitazipine.

Dr thinks it will suit my 'atypical' depression. A friend of mine said she had heard such positive things. However over the last year I have lost 2 and a half stone, worked really hard with slimming world. Since having the problems in December I have lost another half a stone. I need to put on about 3 or 4 lbs because of this but NO MORE. So having read a few scare stories about Mitaz and weight gain I am feeling anxious and wanting to revoke my decision to take it.

The other thing i can't stand about Fluoxetine (and other SSRIs) is the inability to orgasm, i am in a loving stable relationship and lovemaking is important to us. So I really don't feel I could take the Fluoxetine for a therapuetic six months and really get shot of this bout of illness. Anyone got any experience of how Mitaz's effects in this way?

On day 4 of this switchover, I forgot to take my fluoxetine, on day 5 I had a bit of mania (I think - but not diagnosed Bi-Polar - personally I think I have traits and I do have family history). I spent EVERYTHING in our bank account on clothes and shoes. Oh gosh, my behaviour is straining our relationship a bit. The reason I went for help so early this time around is because actually my life is PERFECT, I love my partner and my little daughter so much, I can't risk hurting or losing them.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any replies

xxx

Re: Positive Mitazapine stories please

I'm sorry that you are having a rough time at the moment. I have been on mirtazapine for about four years and have not experienced inorgasm in that time. I'm not sure if anyone else has posted about mirtazapine affecting them in this way? Mirtazapine is very very likely to make you put on weight and I'm struggling to lose 10 or 11lbs whilst still on it. The problem is increased appetite for sugary foods and carbs. You could still go to your diet classes (I go to mine) and exercise. I have a double whammy of being on lithium as well notorious for weight gain but I'm determined not to be beat. Emotional health is the most important thing at the moment. It will help you sleep and should lift your depression but might take up to six weeks to do that. Take care. EJ

Hi. I have been on mirtazapine for about 10 weeks now with no real problems. I had very few side effects, just a dry mouth at the beginning, and started to notice a difference after about 3 weeks. I lost weight before due to not eating and have put some back on but that was due to being a total greedy pig over Christmas - why do I always buy those tins of choccies - but I still weigh less than I did before. I agree that emotional health is more important and if you just watch what you eat you will be fine. Good luck.

I've been on 45mg of mirtazapine for depression for about the last year and generally I've found it helpful. I take it in the evening as it makes pretty sleepy, and when I first started it I did feel like I was hungry all the time and that I had some slightly odd mood swings, but both these things wore off after a couple of weeks. Other than that it’s been fine.

Hi Toast - I'm on 15mg mirtazapine and doing well so far. It's a relatively easy med to get on to compared to the SSRIs. Yes there is the increased appetite issue - but this very often goes away after a month or two for quite a lot of people. You've nothing to lose by giving them a try.

Take care.
    Belle x

hi toast ive been taking mirtaz at highest dose 45mg for last 5weeks and still havin anxiety every day. also takin quetiapen 150mg.mood stableiser .doesnt seem to be changing for me.4 months on sick from work.cant seem to get back to normality.any advice would be truly grateful.thanx.dinkydoo2

Today is the day I am supposed to start...the prescription is still scrunched up in the bottom of my handbag...
    I'm feeling positive about life and thinking why would I take this?
    I know the positive feeling might wear off, i'm at a changing point, I know I should do what my Dr has recommended for my long term health.
    I just can't stop worrying about the what ifs. What if I don't feel better? what if it makes work difficult next week? What if it makes me sleepy? What if it changes me and stresses my other half out?

Hi Toast - well I have been on Prozac for 15 years 20mg I found it brilliant. Had a bereavement in Oct and depression, naturally came back. Dr switched me to Mirt - personally - I don't like it - I slept ok anyway in made my mood flat and I have put on weight - like you had lost some weight at SW - it is a very gentle antidepressant - you could try and see how you get on - the only side effect was drowsiness after I had taken it - as for the orgasm bit - that is the last thing on my mine right now - so tomorrow night changing back to Prozac - not looking forward to the start up effects though! Good Luck Laura x

I decided not to take the mitazapine, i'm going it alone, I know I need to go back and update my GP.
    Now the fluoxetine is out of my system I feel much less anxious. Still feeling pretty positive and managing to get lots of bits and pieces done.
    Thanks for all your helpful replies
    xxxx

I could only stay on prozac for 32 days couldnt take the high anxiety and the sickness and shakes horendous i stopped it 2 days ago.

How long were you on prozac for and did you have bad side efects? how long did it take to come off of it.

I have heard good things about mirt so good luck on that I am sure you will be fine.

Cathy xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information