Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numb chin and scared

Numb chin and scared

For 3 months I've had a numb chin - well, not numb exactly, more 'desensitized' like when a dental injection is wearing off.
    Everything i've read on the internet points to advanced cancer, and i'm terrified.
    I have no jaw pain and i'm otherwise healthy (as far as I know). Does anyone have the same or know what it could be? I know I need to see my GP, but i'm so frightened.

Re: Numb chin and scared

Number 1 - don't google, I use to and everything was cancer apprantely and just made me I'll from thinking too much.

When you google your mind is looking for cancer etc, you may of even read someone say it's fine, but you still focused on it.

Your obviously worried so see the gp, then update on here so we know your okay

Just thought i'd update.
    To cut a long story short, I had a MRI of the head and all was fine.
    My GP thinks it's a stress/anxiety issue, put me on Amitriptyline and has now changed me to Citalopram. Right side of my cheek and chin still desensitized though

Have you ever had dental surgery?
    I had three teeth out at the hospital, two wisdom and a molar. Some time after I was experiencing a numb tongue with pins and needles, numb chin and jaw. This terrified me at first but when I realised it wasn't going to go away and nothing bad happened I accepted it. I mentioned it one time at the docs and he said to go see my dentist, I thought that was a little strange.
    Sure enough my dentist said that in some cases the result of dental surgery can result in all these symptoms because of nerve damage...Just a thought.

Kez xx

If its caused by something physical it would be nerve damage from something like the wisdom teeth or TMJ

Quote Originally Posted by shotokansho View Post
    Have you ever had dental surgery? Kez xx
    I actually had a dentist appointment a week before I noticed the initial numbness, however, the only treatment I had was a scale and polish so I couldn't put it down to that. On my last dental appointment last week, I told him the story and he x-rayed my teeth/jaw and said there was nothing amiss.
    I was terrified after googling 'numb chin' as the main thing that came up was tumours/cancer, specifically lymphoma and breast cancer.
    Recently, i've been having pains and stitch like sensations in my right breast and chest wall. My GP gave me a full exam last week and ruled out breast cancer as she couldn't feel any lumps etc.
    Basically, i'm back to square one - still got numb chin/cheek, still no idea what's causing it and still scared

Another update.
    Over the past 14 months, I have had blood tests, mri (head) and two types of antidepressants. Blood and mri came back clear. Doctor baffled and basically gave up on me. Chin is still numb and upper right quadrant of chest has a constant dull ache like I have been punched there. Plucked up the courage to see another doctor yesterday and wish I hadn't bothered. Was made to feel like a malingerer, basically told symptoms were all in my mind, like I was wasting their time and advised to see a shrink! He's arranged for me to have a chest x ray on Monday to 'keep me happy'. I sincerely hope the results will be clear, if not I do not know where to turn next. My numb chin and chest pain is NOT in my head, and contrary to what the doctor seems to think, I do NOT enjoy going to the surgery! You would think that your gp would be only too eager to rule out possible sinister causes first, then take it from there, but obviously not. I was made to feel like I was wasting him time. How can I not feel dread about my symptoms - I am a single mum to three teens and cannot bear to think about dying and leaving them, as they have no one else. I am in a very low and lonely place right now. :(
    Last edited by Andysgirl68; 15-05-13 at 07:03.

Hi
    I know this post is quite old now but did you get it sorted in the end?

I have had the numb chin / mouth for 4 months now, doc said nerve damage, gave me tablets, didn't work, put it down to my anxiety in the end because I have no choice but I am not convinced. I have also read about it bring cancer on numerous occasions it is scaring me to death, I have bad health anxiety but this is by far my worst experience so far!

Hi - I still have my numb chin. I also started with dull aching chest pains on the right hand side about 4 months ago. After virtually telling me the chest pains and numb chin were all in my head, and it was the problems there I needed to get sorted out, my doctor finally sent me for a chest x-ray to rule out breast cancer, which I was terrified it would be. Thankfully, the results came back clear and I was given Gabapentin for anxiety/stress. I have to say, these meds are great for stress initially and my chest pains went within a couple of days! The numb chin remains however, and is still a cause of great anxiety and worry as I still think I have something lurking somewhere that's causing it :(

Hi, did you ever find out what the cause was? I have the exact same symptoms and I am terrified! I've convinced myself that I am dying and am so depressed. I have numbness in chin, cheek, jaw plus pain in chin. All day everyday for like 3 months. Also chest pain and ear ache. Im searching for answers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information