Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I quit Mirtazapine, I've lost 16lbs in 12 days.

I quit Mirtazapine, I've lost 16lbs in 12 days.

Yep, thats right... 16lbs, SIXTEEN pounds in 12 days.

I always had a strong suspicion that Mirtazapine was responsible for my weight gain (it started not long after I began taking Mirt) but I didn't realise to what extent. I had been quite angry with Mirtazapine for causing such rapid weight increase, but it's only now that I sort of feel justified in that view, because it is a good AD and in the back of my mind I didn't want to believe it had this horrible side effect.

But what else can I think now?! I stopped taking it on Wednesday the 18th of this month, the doctors weighed me that day as well. Today, I went back to see my GP, (he wanted to see how I was getting on) and as soon as I walked in he said I looked like I had lost weight, but both of us were surprised with how much! My clothes were a fair way looser but I've been so upset about my weight I didn't weigh myself at home.

Mirtazapine, over the course of around 11 months caused me to gain over 3st. So I just hope this fast weight loss continues and it's all gone soon. I'm not that big now really, I don't look awful (she says... she hopes!) but going from a normal and stable weight of around 10.5st to nearly 14? It's really sad I think. And if I had been informed I simply wouldn't have taken it.

Please don't think that I'm a mirtazapine hater, I'm really not! It is a very effective and helpful AD. It helped me sleep and helped level my mood very well, but for me this whole weight situation was just too much. I think people should be aware of the possibilities, especially if they have an issue with their size, because it can be very very hard to cope with. I understand it's not just the drug, I was the one who put the food into my mouth But if you have ever been on Mirt, you will understand how the cravings are UNBEARABLE! It's like having a starving screaming toddler in your stomach!

Looking back, I don't think I massively over ate. But obviously there was a combination of food, being so sedated I exercised less and Mirtazapine all working together to make me pile on the pounds.

So yes, I just wanted to put this on here. Hope it helps someone maybe, if you've been putting on weight and thinking it's just you or something...

Re: I quit Mirtazapine, I've lost 16lbs in 12 days.

Unforunately you feel the need to scaremonger mirtazapine. Taking mirtazapine does not necessarily lead to the weight gain you describe. i'm sorry that you had to find this out but you've lost the weight now? Posting like this might help you get this off your chest but it does not help others who will be prescribed this drug. I really think that you need to address the balance. Your experience is unique to you and others like myself might be having a difference experience. In my case I gained weight which I lost and although I'm trying to lose weight at the moment have a healthy BMI. I hope that you continue to do well. EJ.

It's painfully obvious you didn't read the post! I think it's rude to reply without having bothered to figure out what it is you're having an opinion on..

I cleary said, I'm not anti mirt, it's a very good AD. I also said it was me who was putting the food into my own mouth so I'm partly to blame. I also said I just wanted people to know so they can be aware of the possibility.

Please, learn to read my posts before you follow me around forums making ridiculous comments that are painfully inaccurate.

Would you rather everyone lived in a bubble without access to other peoples experiences?

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

"i'm sorry that you had to find this out but you've lost the weight now?"

More proof you didn't read what I wrote before replying with nonsense.

Babkins I did read your post. It was the way that it was written that I have objected to. EJ

You object to any experience with mirtazapine that doesn't support your own opinion. You have no right to object to someone sharing information.

Babikins, this post has been really helpful for me, thank you!

I have noticed the same sort of thing as you. I've put on weight which seems impossible to shift no matter how much I diet and exercise.

I've been off it for the last two days and have not noticed any difference in my weight so far, but your post has inspired me to keep hoping that it does start to shift!

I've noticed a lot of people saying the same sort of thing, so it's comforting to know it's not just me being a failure at dieting etc! xxx

i am on mitzapine too and ive put on weight too

shes not scaring any one
    just saying what happend leave her alone
    god bless

I have been taking Mirtazapine for 3 years; and yes at first I did put on a lot of weight, But I managed a little self control and a healthy diet and am now back to my ideal weight.
    So it can be done.

BobbyDog

Considering this drug was first used for Anorexia and weight gain .Its hardly surprising lots of people gain weight on it ..It was perscribed to me for my Anxiety /Depression and low weight issues . as Id lost 2 stones in weight .I found it gave me a ravishing appetite ..It didnt work for me with regards to Anxiety /Depression .Ive also found Weight gain is also common when you take a lot of Antidepressants .Ive been on Cit for over 3 years ,I eat healthily and am active .IT doesnt make any difference I can only loose the odd pound or two and it often comes back on .Losing weight after you discontinue any of these drugs will happen .Its not onLy the increase in appetite that causes weight gain ,Its what it does to your Metabolism .Women and men s bodys dont work in the same way ,and especially older women will find sugar turns into fat as they get older .Another factor with weight is ; When someone is extremely anxious they wont put on weight no matter what they eat .these Drugs relax you so ,this changes ..I dont see informing or sharing experiences of this as Scaremongering ,more an awareness and reassurance .Its important to gain knowledge of possible temporary changes you may encounter . Sue

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information