Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: I quit Mirtazapine, I've lost 16lbs in 12 days.

Re: I quit Mirtazapine, I've lost 16lbs in 12 days.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Sigh! As I understand it, switching GPs isn't as easy as it should be in the NHS system, but if this one is going to stand in the way of effective treatment then s/he needs to go.
    Trouble is he is the best of a bad bunch. And yes trying to get a second opinion or a new GP in the NHS, is like trying to find hen's teeth.

With my new found determination, I've made an appointment for the week's end and will be going in there, not asking but politely telling him that the Mirt's have served their purpose, I no longer want them and to put me on to something else. Full stop. He'll wax and wain, no doubt. But that is where I am at and that is what I want.

Mirtazapine has caused me to gain 30+ pounds every time I go back on it. I hate it. I've eaten the most proper diet and even so the weight stays. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Babikins View Post
    Yep, thats right... 16lbs, SIXTEEN pounds in 12 days.

I always had a strong suspicion that Mirtazapine was responsible for my weight gain (it started not long after I began taking Mirt) but I didn't realise to what extent. I had been quite angry with Mirtazapine for causing such rapid weight increase, but it's only now that I sort of feel justified in that view, because it is a good AD and in the back of my mind I didn't want to believe it had this horrible side effect.

But what else can I think now?! I stopped taking it on Wednesday the 18th of this month, the doctors weighed me that day as well. Today, I went back to see my GP, (he wanted to see how I was getting on) and as soon as I walked in he said I looked like I had lost weight, but both of us were surprised with how much! My clothes were a fair way looser but I've been so upset about my weight I didn't weigh myself at home.

Mirtazapine, over the course of around 11 months caused me to gain over 3st. So I just hope this fast weight loss continues and it's all gone soon. I'm not that big now really, I don't look awful (she says... she hopes!) but going from a normal and stable weight of around 10.5st to nearly 14? It's really sad I think. And if I had been informed I simply wouldn't have taken it.

Please don't think that I'm a mirtazapine hater, I'm really not! It is a very effective and helpful AD. It helped me sleep and helped level my mood very well, but for me this whole weight situation was just too much. I think people should be aware of the possibilities, especially if they have an issue with their size, because it can be very very hard to cope with. I understand it's not just the drug, I was the one who put the food into my mouth But if you have ever been on Mirt, you will understand how the cravings are UNBEARABLE! It's like having a starving screaming toddler in your stomach!

Looking back, I don't think I massively over ate. But obviously there was a combination of food, being so sedated I exercised less and Mirtazapine all working together to make me pile on the pounds.

So yes, I just wanted to put this on here. Hope it helps someone maybe, if you've been putting on weight and thinking it's just you or something...
    I feel all of your sentiments here... And just like you, had I been informed of the weight situation I would have simply refused Mirt and opted for an alternative.

However, I didn't, but knew when the weight started to creep upwards what it was.

Over the last 12 months I had a strict diet of fresh veggies, salads, fruits, low carbs, low sugar. Which helped to curb the creep upwards, but inevitably the creep continued. Hence my decision to taper off. I'm five days in and dropped from 45>30 Sunday past. Sleep has been an issue and I have a headache today but other than that, it has been OK. I'm looking forward to another drop ina few weeks, and eventually a drug free life.

Mirt did contribute to weight gain for me, but during that time, the anti-nausea effects and appetite increase were needed. Mirt saved my life. Before mirt, I had such severe anxiety/depression that I couldn't eat and wouldn't eat. It felt forced and I had no appetite.

I accidentally found it when looking up side effects for Paxil (health anxiety ugh)and brought it up to my doctor, I wanted my life back. So mirtazapine gave me the chance to not wake up totally nauseous from anxiety related IBS every morning, as well as actually taste my food and eat it happily.

I later on tapered down with the help of my doctor as it was a success for me. If you are in a state of anxiety where you can't eat and it feels forced, I highly recommend it. If you are nauseous due to IBS (I have IBS-A), I recommend it. It works.
    Diagnosis: ADHD (Combined Type) with GAD. Had Post Concussive Syndrome, as well as Occipital Neuralgia and IBS. Recovered from PCS in May 2013. Diagnosed with a kidney disease called Gitelman Syndrome in November 2015.

On natural remedies currently.

L-tryptophan and magnesium glycinate

Also taking: potassium chloride er

Mirtazapine is statistically associated with weight gain, there is no doubt of that. However, it can't work magic - the weight has to come from food someone puts in their mouth. Some of the weight gained may be from extra water stored in the body, and some may be from changes in the gut and how food is metabolised - but this would simply mean we need to eat less. Rather, it seems likely that mirtazapine increases appetite and leads people to seek highly energy dense foods. My own feeling is that this is most apparent in the first few months of taking mirtazapine. After that, it becomes easier to regulate diet and energy intake.

While I was on mirtazapine my appetite increased for the first 8 weeks or so, then normalized, this seems to be the experience of most people. The thought of putting on excess weight puts some people off trying this. I understand that as it can have implications beyond the aesthetic for your health, but if you really need a medication this is worth a trial as you can always come off it if your cravings cease to normalize after a while.

A lot of people are prescribed Mirt when at a low ebb, often when their condition has robbed them of appetite and are losing weight. Mirt can quickly resolve this. GPs it seems especially prescribe Mirt to older people (70+) in that situation, for whom rapid weight loss can be somewhat dangerous.

Gaining weight is not inevitable on mirt - but a lot of self discipline is needed, including calorie counting, and if necessary helping hunger issue by consuming lots of water, and fizzy water at that.

My experience is that depression/anxiety usually robs me of appetite, so Mirt is good for such people. Some people comfort eat in response to depression/anxiety, and as such I think Mirt is less useful if you're in that category as that will be exacerbated.

Additionally, if one of the reasons one is depressed or anxious is because you are overweight and/or have body shape issues, again Mirt is probably less useful as that issue will *probably* be worsened.

As with people without MH issues, the best thing when on Mirt is to get plenty of exercise and eat a sensible, balanced diet - eat plenty of vegetables, as these fill you up but are naturally low in calories.

Good luck,

Albert

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information