Thread: How can I control OCD

How can I control OCD

Hey I have been suffering with OCD for jus over a year now and then about 3months ago started to also have panic attacks (due to stress OCD causing me) of a night time I have to check the plugs r out the gas is off the lights off properly candles r out but I check them so many times I even take pictures on my mobile but when I get into bed I'm still not reasured and have to go back down and start all over again I dread night times as I get so angry with my self and very frustrated anyone know anyway of helping make this easier to deal with? Thankyou

Re: How can I control OCD

Ive got a book on overcoming OCD and one of the things it says you have to do is resist doing the checking. I know it is really hard so you can start slowly do maybe when you go to bed don't go downstairs again.

It also said imagine your twin who does not have OCD and do what they do. Act how they would act.

Also are you on meds and doing CBT?

I have OCD though I've been improving over the past 6 months. When I'm locking the doors at night I now say to myself, for example, "front door locked", and in doing so I make a mental note which is a bit like a tick on a checklist. I also work through the rooms methodically so I know that the windows are shut, the doors are locked etc. If I'm distracted I usually don't remember if I've actually done it or not, then I have doubt so I check.

I hope this helps in some way!

Clc - not on meds my panic attacks make me to panicky to take them start worrying they will make me worse I have been using kalms which help slightly I start cbt next Friday so hoping this helps thankyou for your reply.

Brambles- Glad to hear u have been improving good to know u can work through it I have been trying to stop myself from double checking things thinking to myself well if it wasn't done wen I checked the first time I would have done it works some nights other nights not so much thankyou for your reply

Thread Information