Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transnasal Endoscopy

Transnasal Endoscopy

Hi just got home from having my endoscopy was expecting the worst experience but nothing like it the staff ever so helpfull.

But the main shock was not having via the mouth but nose (Transnasal Endoscopy) no sedation just a few sprays to numb the nose passage and a few in the back of the mouth.

A bit of discomfit in the nose (my eye wept a few tears) and 3-5mins later all over and 10mins after that of home. No gagging or anything like taht just breath through the mouth you can even talk.

If anyone is having a endoscopy ask about the transnasal one http://www.transnasalendoscopy.co.uk/index.html

My only concern is that after my one i keep spitting up blood but they said that is because it irritated my nose.

That is the only thing freaking me out at the moment (But hopefully that will pass in a few hours.

Hope this helps anyone having a endoscopy

Re: Transnasal Endoscopy

I am due to have an endoscopy done in one weeks time with a private consultant. I mentioned to his secretary that I would like it done transnasal and she said it is in very early stages of a trial and she had never heard of it in 20 years she has worked there. Could you please tell me where you had yours done? I looked at it on net and seems a far better idea than all that discomfort or sedation. I can't tell you how much I am dreading it.

Quote Originally Posted by BestMate View Post
    I am due to have an endoscopy done in one weeks time with a private consultant. I mentioned to his secretary that I would like it done transnasal and she said it is in very early stages of a trial and she had never heard of it in 20 years she has worked there. Could you please tell me where you had yours done? I looked at it on net and seems a far better idea than all that discomfort or sedation. I can't tell you how much I am dreading it.
    Hiya BestMate, Had it done with http://www.ramsayhealth.co.uk/ I know it says its a private hospital but my endoscopy was done on the NHS via the doctor.

Must admit i was in bed the night before and was dreading it was about to phone and cancel having it but when thay told me at the hospital about having done transnasal i just said yes and glad i did.

Just some mild discomfit in the nasal passage, But that was it no gagging or anything like that and if it is done transnasal no need for sedation will admit brought a tear to my eyes but that was it. The nurse was talking to me and i could talk back to her.
    Then after 3-5mins having it done then a futher 10mins in recovery was told i could leave.

Goodluck

Thanks for this information. I found a hospital in London who do it but as I am in the Midlands it is quite a journey to say the least. However I am prepared to travel, that's how bad I feel about sedation! Which of those hospitals on the link did you have yours at? I tried calling one in the Midlands and she said not sure that they did it there. I think soon it will be all transnasal , such a shame it's not regular practice everywhere

Hi, mine was done in Cornwall (bodmin) when the chap who did came to see me I said I did not want sedation so he said we will do it through the nasal passage. So after he explained it was easier I jumped at the chance. What I could do for you is find his name for you and pm it to you and maybe you could talk to him and ask if any of his colleagues do it around your area.

That's really kind of you, thank you. I will call and ask at a couple of the hospitals more local to me on their list to see if they do the procedure in the morning. If not I will have to stick with the guy in London, a trip out for the day! However I would prefer a trip out to Cornwall, on of my favourite places on the planet I hope all went well with your tests. All this stressing about the actual procedure is kinda taking my mind off why I am actually going

I am sure you well ok which ever way you do it, It's mainly a case of staying calm (easy said than done).

And if you end up in Cornwall have to have a cup of tea

Wow just googled transnasal endoscopy just uk pages only 905 hit looks like little done in the uk but like you said it looks like the way forward.
    Last edited by xtremx; 01-02-12 at 23:05.

Aww a cuppa in Cornwall sounds fab. Although not too sure I could justify the 5 or so hour drive lol. London is pretty extreme, the things we do because of anxiety eh! Thanks for the PM with the info on re consultant. I did reply but not sure if it got to you?? It was not in my sent messages. Well if not it was saying thank you! You have been most helpful and I really appreciate it

Cheers i did get your pm. Yeah long way to drive would have to get you 2 cups of tea

As I said in my reply GoodLuck and be Brave you can do it

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information