Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Sertraline

New to Sertraline

I have been given Sertraline to start from tommorrow for my anxiety(50mg for one week then up to 100mg) and i am dreading the thought ....

My social worker ensures me is it a very good drug to take for the condition i have and says it is best taken after breakfast as it minimises stomach upset......
    Does anyone find these statements to be the case,and do you have any words of encouragement for me.........

Re: New to Sertraline

Hi, I'm exactly the same and I'm really worried as i've read some negative things on the internet (probably a bad idea to start googling about medication as there's always bad things that come up).

I've just been prescribed Sertraline too, starting tomorrow. I'm currently taking Citalopram which isn't working for this this time around like it did before. They suggested upping the Cit dose but I said I'd prefer to try something else. I'm now really frightened to take the Sertraline as I don't know much about it. fluoxetine and Citalopram are more common I think. Post how you get on over the next few days and I will too. Best of luck xx

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Hi Sarahlou I've also noticed that you also suffer from an underactive thyroid? Me too, arent' we the lucky ones! 100mg of thyroxine daily. Plus i take the contraceptive pill. I feel sometimes I take so many pills that I rattle !

I'm on day 11 or so of the sert - it in fa ct just got back from the docs. I've found it had side effects for the first few days - mainly haedache, and then, I felt a bit 'high', and now I'm sorta normal. The main improvement has been my muscles are more relaxed. And I haven't had any panic agttacks either so thats also good.

Good luck xx

do you take it before or after food?????

I know the thyroxine HAS to be taken on a empty stomach,but whats the best way to take sertraline

Doc said to take it first thing in the morning, but I was advised to take with food by someone who said that helped with the nausia. However for me, I found for the first few days if I took it anywhere near food it caused dreadful headaches, so I'd have it fo
    first thing, then eat a few hrs later and all was fine xxx I still do this and have no side effects at all xx

I always take anything 1st thing in the morning. It's the only way I remember to take tablets every day. I do usually get a bit of nausea first few days with a new med. I find taking late at night interrupts sleep too much.

Sertraline was so useful for me. I would not hesitate to use it again if need be. Hope you pick up . Vince

Smile Re: New to Sertraline

Ok 2nd day on Sertraline. Felt a little strange yesterday, but I think I may be able to feel a difference, my thoughts seem slightly more positive already. (I know this is very quick but each time I've tried a new med I've felt it kick in within days not weeks - I know this is unusual but just seems to be how it works with me).
    I may be speaking too soon but I'm feeling positive about it.
    Unfortunately hardly slept last night but that goes with the territory I guess.
    Sarahlou how are you getting on ?

spoke too soon, feel really crap today

had enough

keep going.....side effects can last about 3 weeks or so then gradually wear off.My friend has been taking sertraline for years and its given her her life back.im on fluoxetine...week 9 and am feeling positive
    just remind yourself...any heightened anxiety,insomnia,sickness, headaches are all side effects and they WILL wear off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information