Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd smear Borderline coming up!

2nd smear Borderline coming up!

Hey everyone,
    Well last Nov i had a smear come back borderline, they have booked me another one for april. I cant stop thinking about this, and have visions of me going in there and it coming up that i have it severe and im going to die etc. Im getting married in sept and im finding it hard to look forward to it with this hanging over my head! It was my first smear too that came back borderline. Ahhh im so scared! xxx

Re: 2nd smear Borderline coming up!

Your young and it was your first smear, cells change all the time at your age, so nothing abnormal that is was borderline... thats why they are doing another in april, as it may well be fine then.
    At least at this stage you DONT have any bad signs in cells...
    Worst case senario is you have CIN3 (which i had) - this is where the cells are abnormal and may become cancer.... I had a colposcopy to remove all those cells, and its now 15yrs on from when i had that, and my smears are all normal now... You DONT have any CIN changes, theres CIN1, CIN2 and CIN3... you are no where near that, and like i say im still here after CIN3 !!!! so stop worrying !!!

I dont have anything to add to Stormsky's excellent post, but I agree with her 100%.

Is it possible that the inevitable stress of organising the wedding is adding to your bad feelings about this?

Speak soon

Elen

I also had a borderline result in November and have been recalled for April! I crapped myself when the result came back but then I calmed down and talked to my mum's best friend who works in healthcare. It is as Stormsky put it; even if you have the worst grading of cell change, it is treatable. Very treatable, in fact. The NHS website says that the treatment is 99% effective. It is so rare in this country for women to die of cervival cancer because of the excellent screening service we have here. As long as you go back for any follow-up appointments, you will be fine!

It is also worth knowing that cervical cancer is very slow-growing (about 10-15 years for cell changes to turn into cancer) so the chances of them finding cancer in April are VERY, VERY, VERY slim!

Stop worrying and I will hand hold with you in April when it is time for us to have our follow-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by bettykitten View Post

It is also worth knowing that cervical cancer is very slow-growing (about 10-15 years for cell changes to turn into cancer) so the chances of them finding cancer in April are VERY, VERY, VERY slim!
    Have to disagree with this in my case, i went from a normal smear, to CIN3 within 3yrs, probably not the norm at all i agree, but for me that was the case... i wish we could have smears every year... and they didnt find out about me at my normal smear, i had bleeding after sex, which made me go and request a smear, i think id only had the normal smear 2yrs earlier (unless that smear was read wrong, and they said it was norm when really i already had some changes)
    but we are only talking about cell changes when we say CIN3 (CIN3 doesnt mean cancers developed yet) so your prob right Betty, ACTUAL cancer takes time to grow)
    Last edited by Stormsky; 02-02-12 at 12:46. Reason: add

Thankyou Ladies, Elen yeah that and my daughter having her op could be the reason i was very worried at the time of getting it done.
    Betty definitly with u on the handholding haha.
    Stormsky thanks for the great advice, i no in my head things take a long time to change but just have horrible visions have even had nightmares about this, which i no mean nothing. Thanks for the reasurence guys xxx

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I meant that from cell changes being found, it takes 10-15 years. So if it was discovered that you had C1N3 level changes, you're still a long way off from it becoming full-blown cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by bettykitten View Post
    Sorry, I should have been clearer - I meant that from cell changes being found, it takes 10-15 years. So if it was discovered that you had C1N3 level changes, you're still a long way off from it becoming full-blown cancer.
    Yes your right Betty....
    however saying that what about Jade Goody and also that 20yr old girl thats just died from it... they must have developed it as kids or, theirs advanced real quick - must be exceptions to the rule i guess.... sad anyway....
    Last edited by Stormsky; 02-02-12 at 15:49. Reason: spelling

My sister had this and her repeat was fine. Honestly, don't worry. You'll be fine, at least the repeat smear is them being thorough. It is very common for this to happen and the repeats often come back normal. A few people I know have had this happen to them, it is a worry I'm sure but you're young amd healthyxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsky View Post
    Your young and it was your first smear, cells change all the time at your age, so nothing abnormal that is was borderline... thats why they are doing another in april, as it may well be fine then.
    At least at this stage you DONT have any bad signs in cells...
    Worst case senario is you have CIN3 (which i had) - this is where the cells are abnormal and may become cancer.... I had a colposcopy to remove all those cells, and its now 15yrs on from when i had that, and my smears are all normal now... You DONT have any CIN changes, theres CIN1, CIN2 and CIN3... you are no where near that, and like i say im still here after CIN3 !!!! so stop worrying !!!

I agree. I was diagnosed with CIN1 as of last year. As long as you get monitored on a yearly basis..(going to your gyno for pap smears)..you will be fine.

Did the doctor preform a colposcopy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information