Thread: ?phobia of a body part?

?phobia of a body part?

Hi
    I have a phobia of touching my breasts!!
    This is due a a huge fear of breast cancer, I struggle touching them, feel sick and panic when I have to - in the shower etc
    Its had a detrimental effect on my sex life, I cant do a breast exam, I struggle to look at them
    I dont know if its part of it - but they are full of stretch marks too from pregnancy - so I would struggle to spot any visual changes if there were any - maybe this makes i worse
    Well yesterday I had a massive freak out and thought Im sick of this - this is the main root of all of my anxieties - and its my last cbt session today!
    I forced myself to read about breast cancer yesterday and watch a video of a breast exam - I felt hot, sweaty, sick - all the panic symptoms

Thing is - how on earth do I overcome this - its not something I can talk to people about - its embarassing

Help

Re: ?phobia of a body part?

how about you get a nurse or a doctor to check them for you it might put you at easy in some way, thou i guess breaking the fear is what you really need to do, easier said than done thou i know

Re: ?phobia of a body part?

I know where your`e coming from, because I was one of the first girls in my class at school to develop breasts, & I was bullied because of it. I don`t think that I`m actually phobic about the things, I just wish that they wer`nt there, & that I`d remained flat chested & not have to worry about breast cancer & having to have those uncomfortable mammagrams every 3 years.

Thread Information