Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Due to give birth in a week but I am scared of taking pain meds due to HA!!?

Due to give birth in a week but I am scared of taking pain meds due to HA!!?

So I am due next Wednesday.. and I am absolutely crapping myself like I have been for the past month or two.

Then tonight I figured out why I am so nervous. I hate taking medications. If I get ANYTHING prescribed I read the leaflet like a maniac and look out for the symptoms of getting an allergic reaction or some kind of major medical emergency!

Then tonight I was thinking about pain relief. I do not like to feel out of it, hence why I have never drank or taken drugs in my life. I'm scared of the Gas and air because supposedly that makes you feel drunk! Then im scared of the morphine because that is supposed to do the same....then I had a think about an epidural and just freaked out because my legs will be dead and I won;t be able to feel anything....

I'm scared that i'm going to have a panic attack in labour like start hyperventilating and thinking I can't breathe etc. But then again it's stupid I doubt I'l be that in tuned to my panic with all the pain!!

Does anyone else hate taking meds and has given birth? Or just plain hates taking medications!?

Re: Due to give birth in a week but I am scared of taking pain meds due to HA!!?

Congratulations Katie

I would say let go of all your inhibitions about pain meds' and leave it all to the midwives and docs.

And if you do "feel drunk' on the Entenox or whatever then so what? It isn't that bad of a feeling and you won't be entirely disinhibited just relaxed more .

Congratulations Vince

Re: Due to give birth in a week but I am scared of taking pain meds due to HA!!?

i was kind of the same way with the birth of my beautiful, now 4 year old son. I had an emergency c-section, the morphine sucked and it sucked worse wearing off. Funny thing, the next morning, I told those nurses that I do NOT want pain meds so they were good about keeping me on ibeprofen - sp???...I asked them later on that day for it and said this morning I couldn't believe how good I felt and no pain, they said that was from the vicadin! I didn't even know...
    It will all go so fast brining a life into this world and if you are still scared about side effects, etc., you are under watch in a hospital of nurses and doctors and they are there for you at a push of a button... good luckk and congrats!

hi i have ha aswell and i had my baby 14 months ago, i dont like taking tabs but when i was giving birth that overtakes all over worries belive me ,i was begging for pain relief and all i got was gas and air, id take whatever u are offered is it your first baby? good luck and im sure it will all go fine
    amandaxx

You'll be fine! Positive thoughts your way. Don't make any decisions now..just go with the flow.
    Gas and Air didn't make me feel 'drunk' and it's a good 'prop' to distract you from panic...you can concentrate on using it, counting your breath etc..

Please let us know how you get on and best of luck! xx

Don't panic about the epidural - if you decide to go for it, it's a very simple procedure; they just make you either lean forward on the bed, or pop your feet on a stool and lean over. Hair gets a bit messy as they have to hold it up so it's not in the road.

They scoosh your back with antiseptic which is cold, then feel your spine a bit and stick anaesthetic into the small of your back, just above your tail bone bitty, then then area goes numb pretty quickly. After that, they take a longer needle and get it into the correct bit, through the syringe they can pump in the necessary fluids.

Your bottom, in between your legs and your feet feel odd with minutes, they go hot and tingly and then warm and heavy before they're gone altogether. It is a weird feeling and it can be a shock at first - I am so used to tensing my pelvic floor and had clenched the muscles as the anaesthetic took hold, so it was annoying not being able to unclench - but within minutes you will get used to it, you will have staff there to help you.

It is a feeling you never forget though, it's funny as I am reliving it writing this haha!

The negative effects are minimal - might get a wee headache which they promised could be fixed with an injection. Done correctly there will be no problems - I remember sobbing at the beginning as I thought I was going numb all over but the anaesthetist and nurses reassured me and told me I was just panicing. Very serious side effects are incredibly rare and if they happen the staff are very well trained to know what to do next.

You might find they'll want you to have a drip too - again this is not sore, perfectly safe.

Entonox (G&A) can be taken as much as you need it, when you need it - it does not effect you long term and might actually make you feel very relaxed.

One thing is that once you are under the influence of any medication you will not be worrying you'll be so relaxed

Haven't given birth by the way but have had vulval surgery (spinal/epidural plus local anaesthetic in bottom, back, thighs and girly parts!)!

It is worth chatting to the nurses/midwives as they sort you out with the meds, they can put your mind at rest, you might find as well that you don't want any strong medication and are happy just to have the G&A or something
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Hi Katie

I also suffer with HA and hate feeling out of it. I didn't take the gas and air or the Morphine and opted for the epidural. You can actually feel your legs and can also get up and walk around with the epidural.

But like others here have said - tbh during the labour you will prob not care what you have ....so dont panic and just go with the flow.

Good luck

Hello, im the same.. wont take meds because i read the side affects, i said i didnt want any drugs atall while in labour, but trust me when it happens i wont care, i had paracetimol and codiene tablets to start, and then gas and air.. if you want to try with nothing you should try a water birth, i had one and it was amazing! Also i thort i wauld have a panic attack while in labour, but my mind was more on the pain and getting my baby out

Katie I had gas and air with all my 3 and I was fine and it doesnt make you feel drunk one bit please bielive me it was brill and just think what you get at the end of it

Are you still taking the fluoxitine I have had to stop yesterday was too sick and shaky on it so I am starting cit next week.

Cathy xx

Congratulations! I've had 3 babies and trust me you'll be so focused on getting that baby out there will be no room for panic! Just take it as it comes and if you're in a lot of pain the last thing you'll be thinking about is the side side effects of the painkillers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information