Thread: 2 years on Citalopram coming off slowly no side effects

2 years on Citalopram coming off slowly no side effects

Hi Everyone
    I have been on citalopram 30mg for 2 years and I am slowly coming off them. Currently I am taking 25mg and about to go down to 20 mg. I was put on them originally for severe depression and panic attacks they have really helped me. The only side effects I got while being on 30mg was the odd headache, nausea, extreme tiredness I could actually sleep all the time! and weight gain about a stone and a half. I exercise a lot and eat healthy but couldnt shift a lb but then my mental health improved lots so you have to weigh up what is more important.
    Ive decided to come off them as I had a year and a half of cbt which has really helped I am a lot more positive and have managed to handle my panic attacks as citalopram doesn't stop them completely I do get the odd one.
    If I feel unwell while I am coming off them I wouldn't hesitate to start again but Im hoping I will be able to manage without them. This is day 5 of 25mg and I feel good Ive been taking a 20mg tablet and cutting the 10mg in half. I am in the middle of moving house we move on monday 250 miles away from my family so it is quite a stressful time but seem to be doing ok. No side effects so far. Just wanted to let people know as it is scary to come off medication I was on fluoxetine 20mg for 4 years and came off them with no side effects but then a year later got ill again they made me put on even more weight!and my sister is on them and has put on 3 stone.
    Also I drank alcohol with citalopram its ok if you dont drink too much. But if you do overindulge you will get the worst hangover ever which takes about 2 days to recover from. I will let you know how I am getting on just wanted to give a bit of positivity to people who may be scared coming off them. Please feel free to message me

Re: 2 years on Citalopram coming off slowly no side effects

Glad to hear your doing well and good luck with your weaning.

Thank you

Good luck with the weaning off and the house move xx

Thank you just want to get there now! Cant believe all the crap I have collected over the years have lots of trips to the dump to do!

Hey ruth, you are doing it the right way very slowly 5mg at a time, i reduced cit from 60mg to 25mg doing exactly the same thing with little or no side effects at all.

Good luck with the move and hope you continue to improve xx

Thread Information