Thread: swollen vagina during menses (tmi)

swollen vagina during menses (tmi)

I have noticed my vaginal area gets quite swollen during my menstrual cycle I have always known that it hurts and gets a bit sensitive and sore when I wear tampons so I just dont I stick to pads. But I have noticed after having a shower that my vaginal area felt really swollen and hard to stick my finger in as it hurts really bad (sorry tmi).

I was crying because it started to worry me a little because I never known it to be quite swollen.

I also take ponstan three times a day with other pain killers and doesnt get rid of the period pain and all my ovary area and tummy feels really swollen too.

I also struggle with thrush before, during and after menses every time.

Does anyone one else get this? is it normal and nothing to worry about?

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

no replies!! I just want to know if Im ok :(

Re: swollen vagina during menses (tmi)

I gave up wearing tampons years ago because of reoccuring thrush.......never suffered since.
    I would see your doc about such severe period pain,he may refer you to a gynae....you shouldnt have to suffer like this x

I think I do get thrush around my periods and since starting the pill i think Ive noticed it a bit more and even worse even.

Mum bought me some thrush cream but I dont notice much difference I dont think it works that well.

I havent been able to wear tampons though for a couple of years my vagina gets really sore and irritated and quite tender (sorry tmi)

Perhaps you have an allergy to some material they use to make the pads/tampons? I would ask the doctor about it--like sickandtired said, you shouldn't have to be in pain. Periods are miserable enough without this :(

thanks.
    When I was a teenager I use to wear these cheap type sanitary pads they had a silky cover and they were a huge irritant as I was always getting itchy sore and irritated by them. Then I changed to the cottony cover from libra when I was earning my own money and they were much better. It could be an irritant from them. But I also noticed irritation when I wanted to know what it was and stuck my finger up there. I haent had sex in a while and too scared too because I dont want to give away if it hurts or not.

Anyway the thrush creams dont do anything they are useless.

But yeah I tell my doctor about the period pains and she does try everything she can about trying to make them more comfortable for me. But everything she gives me to ease the pain doesnt work at all.

Is it just itchy or is it actually thrush? From what I know, if you have thrush you get a cottage cheese type discharge but red and itchy may be an allergy or irritation. I would make sure that you know what you are treating before assuming that it is an infection. As mentioned, it may be an allergy and a change in product may help. As also mentioned, periods are yucky enough without all this extra stuff going on. Good luck.

yeah that is true. Well my vaginal area is very swollen during menses enough that it hurts really bad to even try and wear a tampon and that is not normal.
    It gets red and sore easily during sexual times too right inside omg sorry bout the tmi, its just hard to explain something that is worrying but also quite embarrassing lol.

You are prob right it might not be thrush it gets like really itchy and irritated and even sometimes sore before my periods start and during and after my periods.

I havent been sexually active in a while but I would say that if I was recently then it would hurt and make me feel uncomfortable.

Ive never heard of that. I might google it anyway. Yeah I often think whether I am tensing up or not but I seem to try and relax myself. The tampon can be so painful that when I put it in its sore and can feel it in there with discomfort then taking it out is extremely painful to the point I can be in tears on the toilet because it hurts. The tampon is well used too like it def needed a change so its not like its not covered. Once again really sorry for the tmi stuff.

But yeah Ive always felt abnormal in that way everyone else enjoys sex and stuff with partners and yet deep down I try and run a mile fear of it hurting too much lol.

Thanks for your help though I will have a look at what vaginismus is.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

I just had a read on wikipedia and it does sound a lot like me. I havent been able to wear tampons most of my life, well since I had started my periods and even though I did wear them when I was younger it was always hard to wear them.

Its like one of those embarrassing things where I have never mentioned it to anyone ever before only on here and I am too embarrassed to. But I know if I dont then Im not going to get anywhere and always feel down and be scared of being in a relationship with someone :( I dont think its ever something I could tell my mum though or any of my friends lol as I find it far too embarrassing.

Thread Information