Thread: WONDERFUL book - just thought I'd share

Smile WONDERFUL book - just thought I'd share

Hi everyone!

I was at the bookstore the other day and just happened to pick up a copy of "Coping with OCD" written by Bruce Hyman and Troy Dufrene. It's smaller in side with a blue cover (perfect for taking places without being obvious!). Needless to say, this book has been a godsend. Considering that just a week ago I was unaware that the disturbing thoughts I had about myself and others were purely OCD at work, this book has helped me to better understand how to accept and tackle the disorder head-on. One of the things that I found most amazing was when the book talked about when you have such thoughts about going crazy and harming yourself or others, the emotions that you experience (anxiety, sadness, depression, etc) are a pure indicator that you would NEVER carry out such thoughts. No matter how much anxiety and doubt you may have! OCD is something that we are dealing with, it does not change the core being of who we are.

The book also goes on to talk about a few acceptance techniques for such irrational thoughts. As scary as it may seem, a good method is to write out these horrendous scenarios in a narrative. Then review this narrative each day. The idea is to become more accepting that your thoughts are simply just thoughts. Sounds scary, I know.....you may even be thinking "if I accept my thoughts, won't I act on them?". That's exactly what I said. But again, you will NOT act on them. The ability to accept your thoughts for what they are makes it easier to drop them. I haven't tried the narrative yet, but am planning on tackling it tonight. Wish me luck!

Hope this helps

Re: WONDERFUL book - just thought I'd share

Thanks for sharing! I've been looking for some good books about intrusive thoughts, may have to check this out!
    I'm kind of nervous to read about it though, because it always causes anxiety. I just want to forget about the thoughts and everything and be normal. Ugh. Guess that's not going to happen though.
    Thanks again

I looked for this at the library but couldn't find it.
    You're in the US right? Do you mind telling me what bookstore or where I could find it?
    Thanks

Yep, I'm in the US. I bought mine at Barnes and Noble, but I think it's on Amazon too Good luck!

Im reading BRAIN LOCK, really helping me ...

My friend lent me 'the happiness trap'-its really good!

Thread Information