Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: what to expect at 1st pyschiatrist appointment

Re: what to expect at 1st pyschiatrist appointment

Dan, mind telling us what the mental health examination consisted of? talking or filling in multiple choice questions? what spectrum of mental health did the exam cover?

Quote Originally Posted by anybody View Post
    Dan, mind telling us what the mental health examination consisted of? talking or filling in multiple choice questions? what spectrum of mental health did the exam cover?
    Well it basically consisted of a complete history. Imagine a time line of your life,you go through everything. they ask you lots of questions to find out your problems and how it effects you. They devise a care plan. No formal tests or sheets to fill in, as they are experts. Although dependent on the problem they might do it. Not sure really.

Its about an hour to 90 mins. You talk through possible treatments and meds and go from there really.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    Well it basically consisted of a complete history. Imagine a time line of your life,you go through everything. they ask you lots of questions to find out your problems and how it effects you. They devise a care plan. No formal tests or sheets to fill in, as they are experts. Although dependent on the problem they might do it. Not sure really.

Its about an hour to 90 mins. You talk through possible treatments and meds and go from there really.
    thankyou

that sounds good. Id need 3 to 5 hours at least though if not full day.
    One hour flies by with me. I had alot to more to say to pscyhologist and i got my notes out, but as the hour was up, it was obvious they wanted me to stop. Slightly annoying. You cant be writing reports and making conclusions based on half the info......sigh.

guess it will be different for me, on NHS, i think i read you went private.

Do you get homework to do?

Quote Originally Posted by anybody View Post
    thankyou

that sounds good. Id need 3 to 5 hours at least though if not full day.
    One hour flies by with me. I had alot to more to say to pscyhologist and i got my notes out, but as the hour was up, it was obvious they wanted me to stop. Slightly annoying. You cant be writing reports and making conclusions based on half the info......sigh.

guess it will be different for me, on NHS, i think i read you went private.

Do you get homework to do?
    Well a psychiatrist is unlikely to cut you short, as they want the full info before making a diagnosis. They aren't going to sit 5 hours with you.

They are qualified docs, so are more concerned with making the diagnosis, prescribing and reviewing medication, and sending you for the right therapy such as CBT. They are unlikely to set homework, thats more the remit of your therapist.

I've been seen by a NHS psychiatrist, but she was useless and disinterested in me and my problems, so yes i went private. But my health is worth far more than his fees so it was a no brainer.

PM replied to aswell.

In my experience a first NHS psychiatrist appointment lasted about 30-45 mins. They generally ask all the questions and you answer them. To be fair, they are trained in psychiatry and know which questions to ask in order to get a good perspective of how you are feeling at the moment.

They tend to start by getting some background information, beginning with your childhood, your relationship with your parents, relationship with any siblings you may have etc. Who you live with...i.e. general questions about you. Then they will probably ask about your appetite, sleep patterns, suicidal thoughts. Things you used to enjoy but maybe don't enjoy anymore.

They seem to have standard questions that they ask all new patients and may ask you to elaborate on some of the answers if relevant.

Then more about you personally and how the way you are feeling affects you and your life. They sometimes ask to speak to a close relative or spouse to get their perspective on how you seem to feeling/acting.

Then, hopefully recommend some treatment, medication and/or psychology, hopefully both!

I've been under psychiatric care for twenty years now and have been under the care of three different psychiatrists.

Unfortunately, their time is limited and my usual psychiatrist appointments last about 15mins.

It's not like tv I'm afraid where they let talk as much as you want, but you are entitled to ask questions of course.

They're all different too. My current psychiatrist is very "straight to the point", some people find him abrupt, but he is very experienced, a Professor in psychiatry in fact and he really knows his stuff so I trust him. My boyfriends psychiatrist, whilst still a reputable consultant psychiatrist, takes a different approach, spends longer with her patients, but I still prefer mine because of his vast experience.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Do you have any idea how long you will have to wait for the appointment?

Haz.

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Sorry, I've posted this in the wrong thread! This reply was meant for "anybody".

Sorry Nicola for hijacking your thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information