Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what to expect at 1st pyschiatrist appointment

what to expect at 1st pyschiatrist appointment

Hi, ive got my first pyschiatrist appointment on wed, doctor has requested a change in my medication for anxiety and panic attacks as currently on citalopram and it doesn't seem to be helping, i just wondered what to expect from my 1st appointment? doctor said to be aware that she will ask me alot of personal questions etc starting from my childhood, family etc, im really stressing myself out about going and could do with knowing a little of what to expect? apparantly she's not the most sympathetic pyschiastrist and holds no prisoners but is very good regarding treatment!! thanks

Re: what to expect at 1st pyschiatrist appointment

be totally honest is the best advice I would give and Im sure she will in turn very good treatment.

Ive found working against them at times causes problems and dont mention I googled this or that , and I think this med would suit me etc , remember they see people all day long they are in general very good with their diagnoses and treatments , as long as they have the correct symptoms that is

Thankyou xx

Hi, don't worry, I think they have to be impartial and can appear cold and un-sympathetic (their job is not to give sympathy). They do ask lots of qu;s, it's only to get some background info so they can help to work out any 'triggers'. It's natural to feel stressed, I was, but I found it really helpful, I couldn't believe an hour had gone by on my first visit, and to be honest I could have answererd her questions all day. I had 10 sessions in total and it still helps me to cope better with my panic attacks...that was 5 years ago. Please go, it will be worth it. best of luck

Thankyou xx

I would think the psychiatrist will probably ask lots of questions about you and your difficulties, the purpose being to diagnose you, then they will probably suggest some medication to help with the problem you have.

A big misconception is that psychiatrists deliver therapy ('lie on the couch, and tell me of your childhhod', etc.,), when infact the majority are not trained in therapy, remember they are doctors not therapists, therefore they generally diagnose and prescribe medication, a few however may have some training in therapy, so it might be worth asking what they do deliver if any psychological intervention is offered.

thetube82

Thankyou, i am currently having weekly councilling which is helping xx

Any update of how it went? I have one next wed, found out she is a trainee pyschiatrist which hasn't really filled me with confidence. I really want to try pregabalin but my GP said she isn't happy to prescribe it.

Hi it went well but be warned they want to know everything from your childhood upwards, i found it very emotional but felt loads better when i came out, i was in there over an hour and a half and she changed my meds there and then to what she felt would benefit me better, have got a follow up appointment a wk on monday with her again, good luck x x

Great news Nicola. It can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster but I think it's good to talk about things and they sure know the right questions to ask! I'm sure your next session will be positive for you too. Onwards & upwards!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information