Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what to expect at 1st pyschiatrist appointment

Re: what to expect at 1st pyschiatrist appointment

Quote Originally Posted by nicola1980 View Post
    Hi it went well but be warned they want to know everything from your childhood upwards, i found it very emotional but felt loads better when i came out, i was in there over an hour and a half and she changed my meds there and then to what she felt would benefit me better, have got a follow up appointment a wk on monday with her again, good luck x x
    Hi thanks for replying. What meds did she change you onto ? I've tried citalopram, amitriptlyine and prozac so far.

I was on citalopram and shes changed me to mirtazapine, she said im suffering an anxiety disorder, citalopram was heightening my anxiety and panics and id persevered with it since sept so really was at the end of my tether!! xx

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kittikat View Post
    Great news Nicola. It can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster but I think it's good to talk about things and they sure know the right questions to ask! I'm sure your next session will be positive for you too. Onwards & upwards!!
    Thanks, i was absoutley bricking it before i went in but ou just have to put your trust in them and apparantly mine is very clued up on meds so fingers crossed xx

I was on citalopram and shes changed me to mirtazapine, she said im suffering an anxiety disorder, citalopram was heightening my anxiety and panics and id persevered with it since sept so really was at the end of my tether!! xx

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Thanks, i was absoutley bricking it before i went in but ou just have to put your trust in them and apparantly mine is very clued up on meds so fingers crossed xx
    Got my first appointment tomorrow

Good luck you'll be fine, let me know how you get on x x

Just wanted to wish you luck for today Dan x x

Thanks so much nicola,

Saw a trainee pyschiatrist today, had the assessment done today, because it is a complicated case she is speaking to a consultant. She is arranging for me to get CBT. Basically it was positive, but will take a couple of weeks till my meds are changed. Although I told her I will unwilling to take Prozac. She was surprised my GP prescribed diazepam ???
    Last edited by dan1234; 22-02-12 at 11:56.

These new docs etc are dead against diazepam but ive been told by my physchatrist to carry on using it until im stable mentally and medication wise, usually they prescribe meds there and then so hope you dont have to wait too long x x

Was good to read these posts as I have had 3 sessions of CBT but am seeing a consultant psychiatrist tomorrow to review my meds as I'm on citalopram but for various reasons my GP and therapist don't think it's right for me but don't know what to try. I was recommended pregabalin (by said consultant via GP over the phone) but was turned down by the Primary Trust (as it had to be ok'd) as they didn't feel I had tried enough of the more generally used medications. I am so anxious about the appt tomorrow incase they tell me just to stick with the Citalopram and I don't want too as it's been 5 months and I'm at my wits end with it all :-(

When will they invent the magic wand to wave anxiety away??

xx

Quote Originally Posted by scotland1 View Post
    Was good to read these posts as I have had 3 sessions of CBT but am seeing a consultant psychiatrist tomorrow to review my meds as I'm on citalopram but for various reasons my GP and therapist don't think it's right for me but don't know what to try. I was recommended pregabalin (by said consultant via GP over the phone) but was turned down by the Primary Trust (as it had to be ok'd) as they didn't feel I had tried enough of the more generally used medications. I am so anxious about the appt tomorrow incase they tell me just to stick with the Citalopram and I don't want too as it's been 5 months and I'm at my wits end with it all :-(

When will they invent the magic wand to wave anxiety away??

xx
    Good luck for tomo, i had the same problem with citalopram, i perservered with it since sept up until last wed when the physchatrist swapped me to mirtazapine, the cit just made me worse but now im going through withdrawal off the cit aswell as side effects off the mirtazapine but we have to go through this to get better xx

These new docs etc are dead against diazepam but ive been told by my physchatrist to carry on using it until im stable mentally and medication wise, usually they prescribe meds there and then so hope you dont have to wait too long x x
    Only 1 yr difference between when they qualified. Maybe because she wasn't a fully qualified pyschiatrist yet she was being cautious. Just out of interest how much diazepam are you prescribed ? I've had 21 since sept and the GP has refused to give me more. Hopefully the consultant pyschiatrist will be more willing to prescribe them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information