Thread: Freaking out again...when will this stop?!

Freaking out again...when will this stop?!

Hi everyone,
    I am freaking out. I have had a weird tugging sensation behind my nipple for awhile now (especially when I lie down on my back) I had an appointment at the breast clinic two weeks ago for a rash on my nipple, and briefly mentioned the tugging. The doctor was not at all worried, but I just googled this symptom and of course it came up with breast cancer. I am freaking out again. Why can't I be sensible and stop googling!? I know it is bad for me! I don't know what to do anymore, I am so anxious.
    Elizabeth

Re: Freaking out again...when will this stop?!

I feel like I cannot do this anymore. I missed out on classes today because I have been so anxious, and I just have been in bed panicking all day because of my fears.

aww bless ya, i try so hard not to google i did alot of googling a few months ago which sent me around the twist ,ive not done it in ages now which has helped.
    if the worry is too much to cope with go to your gp,i went last week and am going again tommorow i know they will think im mad but if i get reassured then i couldnt care less try to stay calmxxxx the fact you went to the breast clinic only two weeks ago and had things looked at is somthing to take comfort from.

I am a guy so obviously cannot relate to the symptom..
    but let me tell you what I do know about Google.

Google works according to what gets the most hits. Sadly for us HA freaks, that is mostly cancer. People click on the cancer sites and forums. And then there are the MS, ALS sites...

So when we look up a symptom, cancer is almost always going to come up. Headaches, tooth aches, arm aches...

This sets us off into a panic. And we pay attention to what we are fearing.. this is called confirmation bias. So if the site says 'Swollen lymph nodes in the neck are common and are usually signs of infection', I ignore this and skip to the nasty parts.

Your clinic saw you. They evaluated you! They see breast cancer. They are the experts. Trust what they say and not what you think. Just because you read something and are afraid of it doesn't make it true. These people know more

I had exactly the same last year! It suddenly came on, sometimes felt like a sharp tug and other times a dull one. It petrified me, same as you my doctor felt around and said she wasn't worried and probabaly a homonal thing! Think I probably made it worse by prodding to see where the pain was coming from. Anyway I want to reassure you that I had it for a quite a while and then it just went as quickly as it came. Still don't know what it was but it has gone now xx

Hi Betsyboo

I wanted to post becaue Breast Cancer is one of my major fears, and I really sympathise with what you are going through at the moment.

I can't add anything new or additional to the good advice that you have been given, but just wanted to say if you have been to the breast clinic then you should try and let yourself be reassured by this.

They see breast cancer day in day out and if they had any doubt that's what you had there is no way they would have let you walk out of there.

I hate google I'm the worse because I do it myself but it always highlights the worst case scenario and if you are anything like me even if there's 300 people who had your symptom where it turned out not to be cancer you would still be looking for the one where it was.

Try not to worry it sounds hormonal I get strange sensations in my breasts and have done for years, I used to focus on them so much that I could barely funtion somedays but I now just try and ignore them and they seem to soon dissapear.

I would bet money it is all down to the wonderful world of female hormones.

take care

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the reassurance. I have started to get the itchiness back in the one nipple, and of course that is making me worry more. Why won't it go away once and for all? I don't want to have to worry about that and my final year of uni and family problems!

Thread Information