Thread: Should I start taking meds?

Should I start taking meds?

Hi All. I have suffered with HA for the last 3 years, really since having children and just lately I am considering trying meds. I am really against trying medication. I think I am scared of it and am terrified of becoming addicted and what would happen to me!?..

I have become very self centred, constantly obsessing with health issues, worried about my children, how I act and behave in front of my peers and feel no excitement or thrills about anything anymore. I have no interest joining in any conversations with friends and feel unattractive and rubbish really.

Would medication really make a difference? How does it make you feel? Does your personality change? Do you start to enjoy different things? Would meds stop me thinking and over analysing so much? I have no idea what to expect.

Some days I think I will just go and get something from my doctor and other days I am dead against it. My husband thinks I should not go on meds.

Would love some advice from some like minded people. XXXX

Re: Should I start taking meds?

I was quite bad with my health anxiety. It got so bad i decided to start taking medication. I'm so glad i did as my life has improved so much. I would recommend citalopram to anybody suffering with anxiety. I didn't have any side effects and i noticed a difference within 4-6 weeks.

Just have a discussion with your doctor about it and make a decision from there.

thanks for your reply. How did you start feeling? Did you feel as if you were the same person, just happier and less worried?

x

Quote Originally Posted by Melon1 View Post
    thanks for your reply. How did you start feeling? Did you feel as if you were the same person, just happier and less worried?

x
    It's hard to explain. I just don't over analyse things and look for things that aren't there like i used to. I find it a lot easier to occupy my mind on other things.

Medication does help Melon. And even just knowing there is medication that can help can bring some releif at once.

Vince

yes Im all for meds........at last I can allow my children to sleep out at friends without the bloody awful intrusive thoughts....(would if there,s a fire?,would if they die of carbon monoxide poisoning?,would if they crash on the way home? would if she goes to the park and is abducted,or beaten? the list was endless
    my worrying was making me very ill,Ive literally gone grey since before Xmas
    without the meds I dread to think how i'd have coped.....it was getting worse and I felt helpless
    Its your decision though and remember the early weeks can be tough.pm me anytime xx

would love to hear what you decide and how you get on as i am torn myself atm. i have actually got a pack that are on the side unopened as not sure what to do! lol x

Thanks for all your messages and support. I think I will make an appt with my doc next week and chat. Will keep you posted.

Sleep tight X

Im not a fan of meds...was on them 9yrs, been off them 6 months now, they helped with anxiety, but nothing else really.. didnt make me happy...infact no emotion at all really while i was on them.... so in my case they did change my personality.... plus i feel like i was sedated for all those years..... now im awake again.... and they dont cure, they only mask... so when and if you come off, you can be back at square one again.....

Thread Information