Thread: smear test results?

smear test results?

Can anyone help with my question.... If you have anything wrong on your smear to you hear from the doctors sooner? Or is it just the same time as if they were normal results?? I presume they test the swab as soon as they receive it at the lab don't they?? Please reply , I hjad a smear a week and a half ago and haven't heard anything yet xx

Re: smear test results?

Have you rung the drs to see if the results are back? That's what I did a week after I had mine and then 3 days after that I got themIn the post, mine were all clear.
    Back in 2006 I had an abnormal smear and that came back around the e
    Time as normal.

I'm in the states..and here it's normal that if the results are normal on lab work they won't phone you..but if it indeed is abnormal they phone you as soon as they get the lab results back. Did the doctor let you know how long it would take to get results back? Some places are slower than others..

I've experienced both ... I've always had normal smears (knock on wood) and sometimes my doc doesn't even tell me, sometimes they send a letter. Mine always took abotu a week or so for results.

I had a smear test a week ago (after abnormal spotting) and I'm also waiting for results. I also had a swab and those results I was told go straight back to the GP and I was able to get those results yesterday (all normal). With the smear, I was told these results would take two weeks and would come in the post. I'm still waiting but I keep wondering will they call me before if it's not good news because I don't know how I'm going to bring myself to open the envelope when it comes in the post. And then I keep wondering what I will do if it says 'abnormal'. I've already decided that if an envelope comes from the hospital over the weekend, I'm not opening it until during the week. That way, if anything comes up and I have any questions I can phone my GP and speak to them about it. If I do it over the weekend, I would have to wait until Monday and don't think I could cope with that! This health anxiety does make me behave very strangely!

Just to say, I called my GP surgery yesterday to see if by any chance my results had come through but they didn't have them and said it usually takes two to three weeks, but a letter came in the post this morning. I was terrified about opening it. I figured it must have come early because there was something wrong. I wasn't going to open it, but decided I just needed to get it out of the way. It was worth it as the result was normal. This gave me a slight sense of relief, although I was still shaking for some time after opening the letter. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer, bexy84.

It took 3 weeks for both of mine to come back, one that turned out to show borderline changes and one that was normal, they just send a letter. I assume if they found something suggesting cancer was already present they would get in touch with your GP and you would probs hear sooner, so I'd say no news is probs good news. When I had some tissue sent away once (as they do as routine after every op) I was told I'd only hear anytime soon if there was a prob.
    Last edited by louise123_uk; 21-02-12 at 11:11.

bexy-any updates??

Results ALL NORMAL yipeeeee xx

Good to hear!

Thread Information