Thread: 2nd thread - Labrynthitis and anxiety + Venlafaxine

2nd thread - Labrynthitis and anxiety + Venlafaxine

Hey all!
    Please don't think I'm spamming with my two threads but if the rest of you are anything like me, you like things that are simple to read rather than a thread with several issues thus a second thread.

I had labrynthitis in July of this year which, as some of you may know, is one of the most the most debilitating illnesses ever. Basically,your middle ear becomes infected/inflamed (which is responsible for your balance) knocking you completely OFF balance. You end up feeling sick, dizzy and it magnifies your anxiety tenfold.

Ever since having it, my anxiety seems to have gone sky high. I'm still on Venlafaxine 75mg but have been shunted from one brand to another. I'm wondering if this could be the cause or if it's the illness?

Has anyone else had Labrynthitis?
    Has anyone else changed to a different/cheaper brand? If so, has it made a difference?

The docs claim that the change in meds should make no difference but hey, we know the reality

Thanks guys xxx

Re: 2nd thread - Labrynthitis and anxiety + Venlafaxine

Hi Munki,

I've never had labrynthitis but I have experience of venlafaxine - I've been on it twice, once 8 years or so ago and now (I restarted a few weeks ago).

The first time I was on it, I started on Effexor XL and then after about 6 months, got swapped to generic. I didn't notice any difference. This time, I started on the generic standard release (37.5mg twice a day) and swapped a week ago to generic modified release (Alventa XL 75mg). Again, I didn't notice any difference. There are threads on the Internet where people state that the generic is inferior. Either they're far more sensitive than me or it's psychosomatic.

The only time I can imagine you noticing a change is swapping from extended release to standard and not splitting the dose (twice a day instead of once). Your GP will just prescribe by the generic name, the pharmacy's supplies dictate the brand although your GP will specify what form of release you get. They are encouraged to prescribe standard as it's cheaper.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more if not.

Pip

Hiyer,

I've been on various makes of venlafaxine hydrochloride. I started on Effexor, and then since have been on a few generic versions. The active ingredient is identical in all of them, there are minor differences in the carrying agent/binding agents, but those are fairly inoxuous (sp?) things. I've never noticed any difference from any of them.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delay.
    Then it looks like it might just be the Labrinthitis then. Hmph.
    x

I've had labarynthitis it was like being drunk all the time, only with out the reduction in anxiety! I had the same problem (as you would expect) it made me far more anxious, I wasnt on medication at the time so I have a different perspective from you although 2 months on and I am back on anti-anxiety medication (40mg propranolol) so it does seem to make a big difference regardless of the medication.

I had labarynthitus and omg! it made my anxitey sky rocket I had to go on anti depressants because it got so bad and it's been bad ever since!!! x

Thread Information