Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline and weight gain

Sertraline and weight gain

I have put about 2 stone on in 10 months on setraline, I am on 50mg a day. I start a diet tomorrow as it's my birthday in April and I want to drop a dress size by then (am a size 12 and want to be a 10 like I was before the sertraline). Is it possible to lose weight on Sertraline or am I wasting my time and should just stop the meds to lose weight?

Re: Sertraline and weight gain

how much did you weigh before cat? Interested as i've been on 40mg of citalopram for about 3/4 years. The weight has gone on me during the past 2 years really. I went on sertraline back in january and put weight on in 2 weeks.

came off of them, went back on citalopram but dipped into terrible depression and anxiety again. I'm now back in the sertraline and going to throw myself into exercise.

I think you should change your diet and start exercising. HOpefully by april you should see a difference.

do you eat healthily? do you exercise at the moment ?

Hi my sister was purposely put on sertraline due to its increase in weight gain as she was suffering from anorexia and severe depression and it has made her put weight on actually more than shes comfortable with and is always commenting on her weight again, she is now tapering her dose down as she is loads better depression and anorexia wise xx

hi there - I can't help with your question, but it has raised a question for me that you all may know - I've been on sert for nearly one month and haven't had any change in my appitite so I have remained at the same weight which is good. I really dont want to add on any weight...

When you say you put on weight on sert, at what point did it start, or was it from the beginning? And do you think it makes you more hungery or slows your metabolism down? And did it make you less likely to have enegy / motivation for exercise? Did it creep up on you? As it hasn't had any effect so far with me do you think i'll be ok..?

I hope you can both loose weight as you'd like. I exercise as my job so I am very active and I guess this has helped me...I'm sure with diet and exercise you can all achieve the weight you'd like. Perhaps it's harder on these meds, but half the battle is believing in yourself to know you can loose.....

xxxx

I've been on it 2 weeks and no change in weight although this does make me nervous. Last thing I want is to put on weight ! I hope that doesn't happen or I may have to switch to something else.

Thanks for the replies.

I had been on a diet for 3 months and got down to a size 10, I'm 5ft 9 and when I was a 10 was 10st. I haven't eaten anymore than I did before the diet I never really exercised before other than walked everywhere and I still do that. I don't feel I have ravenous hunger either. I noticed weight start to go on pretty fast but definitely within 3 months I'd put on a few pounds.

Now here I am 10 months later and I have gained 2 stone, now just over 12st, I am gutted as well as I was never one to put weight on easily. Don't want to waste my time on a 1500 cal diet if it's pointless. Think I may ask to come off sertraline as I don't feel they are working much anyway anymore

I thought all SSRI's caused weight gain??

I put on loads of weight with paroxetine. My friend put on loads with citalopram.

I've gained some weight with sertraline over the past year but I'm still a stone lighter than I was when I came off paroxetine.

I do generally think they all put weight on you. I think its because you are calmer/heart beat is slower. It really depends on your body chemicals too as to what meds work better for you.

I read somewhere, its like finding a partner - you have to try a few out to get there in the end!! !!!

Quote Originally Posted by alfredo1 View Post
    I do generally think they all put weight on you. I think its because you are calmer/heart beat is slower. It really depends on your body chemicals too as to what meds work better for you.

I read somewhere, its like finding a partner - you have to try a few out to get there in the end!! !!!
    That's a good way of putting it!

ha ha - well if i can get my med-partner sorted out, then maybe I can get my romantic life sorted too!!! xxxx

PS, still no weight gain peeps!!!

Just muscle pain right now.... hmmm...

xxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information