Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derealization!! please HELP

Derealization!! please HELP

Hello as u may know ive been suffering from derealization and depersonalziation now for about 3 1/2 months, and i have not had a 1 day break from it, as ive had days were ive handled it better, or days/hours were im a complete wreck and scared. i have had an assessment for CBT and should be getting my first proper session in march (i know typical) and have not had/been on any medication, except valium which was prescirbed but didnt want to touch it as i had it 1nce before and didnt really help.

What i want to know is with derealization do you have a kind of obsession with eyes? i have the normal VS ( visual snow ) but i mean as if what is in front of your eyes isnt real, and its so wierd how you look through them and see everything around you and it just doesnt seem real as if its a painted picture not reality and it feels it all just in your head, ive had this one for the last 2 days and whenever i start to adjust with the previous ( i dont know myself, who i am or my family) it throws this one at me, its horrible and hard to explain, but how you see through your eyes it feels so virtual, anyway a little reasurrance would help a lot!!! thanks xx

Re: Derealization!! please HELP

hi.
    depersonisasion or whatever its called is along with dizziness my main problem. I have been suffering with it pretty much constant since just before Christmas. I go from dizziness, to spots in my eyes to feeling like i am in a dream pretty much all day long!
    Really starting to get on my nerves, but not too sure what to do about it.
    I am waiting on blood results, and have got a unopened packet of anti depressents, as not sure if they will help or hinder, and heard some scary things about them. Just want to feel ok again! Sorry i know its not exactly the same as you or advice, but just wanted to reply :-)

hey dont worry i get i all i havent had any meds and the dots are visual snow ( search up on google ull see) its all anxiety and im also depressed, im 16 and what u described is derealization and depersonalization xx

Am i the only one??? please be bovered to reply, anything will help...

I have had that.
    I think it has to do with your bodies reaction to anxiety or trauma.
    The thing is you need to try to focus on something external and distract yourself

And also don't try to force the feeling away. Accept it. Life is weird. If I sit here and think about it, the fact that I am typing, etc.. is all strange. The universe is weird. We cannot even know that everything is real. We just have to trust it is

only one instance and it was dream like relating to a trauma some 20 years ago which had never come to light until several months ago whilst I was in hospital. It made me freak out a bit I still worry about it but accept it wasnt real or try to , very unsettling especially when your at that stage your learning about anxiety the the tricks it can play on you.

agree 100% thanks, but it is anxiety and i have accepted it just want it to F off , thanks guy s

I have suffered with this a lot since I had an accident.. I've often found myself questioning if this is all real or just something made up in my head. I get dizzy sometimes and feel like I might pass out if it gets too bad. Talking to someone helps ground me or holding onto my Husband really helps me feel more 'real'. I'm sorry you're going through this :(

I've had this for over a year now.

Its horrible, but its just an anxiety symptom and nothing to worry about even though it is pretty unsettling. It will leave you when your anxiety leaves you.

I've had all the symptoms and trust me it does get better with time. At first its hard, it took me a good 4-5 months to get used to it. Once you get used to it though it doesn't scare you as much and it gradually starts to wear off.

Some people get dp/dr very fleetingly, for others it takes time. Its a defence mechanism, your mind will know when you don't need to feel disconnected anymore.

Have a read of this article below for some reassurance.

http://www.anxiety-hub.com/featured/...s/#comment-339

Hi Conor - I know what you mean about the eyes thing, not just the visual snow but the oddity of vision/visualising. I can't really describe it but I know exactly what you mean from your post, I had it too (as you know I have suffered badly with DP and DR when I was your age). For a while a was scared to "see", I was so obsessed with vision and what I saw compared to what others were seeing, it felt like my eyes were on stalks sometimes and I had the same troubles you describe. I just wanted to stop seeing.

I had a brief period of DP a couple of weeks ago, more brief than any period I have previously experienced, and I can honestly say that I was able to get through it with the help of my Claire Weekes audios, I literally listened to them over and over and just accepted how I was feeling. Its so much easier said than done but I just accepted it and floated through it and I found keeping busy really helped too, over a few days it deminished.

I know you're going to the docs tomorrow so good luck with that and any meds they may give you, and I know how hard and scarey DP and DR are and how lonely and isolated it can make you, but believe me, it's temporary, not perminent (even though there may not seem to be an end in sight at the moment, when I was your age it lasted at least 18months, and if I had know that AD's could have helped me then, I wouldn't have suffered unnecessarily). I'm not saying that meds are the only way, but they can help you overcome it so you are in a position to address the causes and triggers, it could be something that happened over a year ago (I never believed that when I was told that 15 years ago) and things have slowly built up since, without wanting to sound condescending, and speaking with experience, it could be a mixture of hormone changes, coupled with exam pressure AND other factors that may seem insignificant, or that you thought you had handled/dealt with at the time and have long since passed.

The first AD I was given was Seroxat (paroxetine), but it isn't commonly perscribed these days, but it worked so well and so quickly the first two occassions I took it (third time unlucky though and I'm on mirtazepine now). The start up side effects weren't pleasant BUT I was in such an terrible state that they were nothing compared to what I was experiencing. I had no knowledge or understanding of DP or DR back then and I truly thought I would be hospitalised, in fact I'd have welcomed it if someone could have told me what was wrong with me, you have the benefit of existing knowledge and a level of understanding which I hope will help you.

One very important piece of advice I will give you, and it may sound silly, but if you are given meds tomorrow, DON'T read the side effects and DON'T go looking for comparisons/testimonies on the internet. Take every day, every hour as it comes. Any side effects you get WILL pass with time and you may not get any, but if you go looking for them, instead of accepting how YOU feel, you can convince yourself you're suffering with a particular side effect and this can delay you're recovery. When you suffer with DP, DR or obsessing you're susceptible to suggestion. Don't worry about what others are experiencing, just focus on yourself.

I truly wish you the best of luck, I really, really do. I've been in your shoes and I know how you're feeling, if I could share the magic solution with you, I would.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information