Thread: Conscious Breathing

1. Conscious Breathing

One of the most simple and effective tools I have used in the past for neutralising internal anxiety is what I call 'conscious breathing'. This basically involves finding a quiet space where you won't be disturbed, followed by slow, deep inhaling/exhaling from your stomach region.

I say 'from your stomach', because it allows for expansion (ease), rather than contraction (stress). Many people nowadays, particularly ones that suffer from chronic stress and anxiety, tend to 'breathe' primarily from the upper areas of their chests.

Try it yourself - Take a few breathes from your upper chest, followed by a few breathes from your stomach. From my own experience, I have noticed incredible differences between the two, not only how it feels in my body, but the lasting effects it produces in doing so.

When you are 'breathing' from your upper chest, there is a feeling of contraction and 'fear'. In contrast, when you are breathing from your stomach region, there is a feeling of expansion, lightness and bliss which follows. Just listen to your body and follow what feels good!

Happy breathing!

Re: Conscious Breathing

Oddly, when I am more conscious of my breathing the more anxious I get about it because I realise how shallow it is normally. Sometimes I hyperventilate trying to breathe "properly" and end up more tense than I did before I started. I know it must be me but I would like to be able to try deep relaxation exercises again.

3. Re: Conscious Breathing

Hi robinbrum, yes I understand what you mean. It could be something you might want to initially just try while doing other activities, so that your mind is not so focused on 'worrying' about it. As you gradually become more comfortable with breathing from your stomach, you'll start feeling a much greater sense of ease and calmness. The key here is not to overthink the whole process (which I know from experience can be very difficult to avoid), and rather, getting back in touch with feeling your body (which is how we are naturally designed to live).

Hope this helps!

Re: Conscious Breathing

Yes you're right, overthinking is something I do too much!

Thread Information