Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsession with Remembering Things

Obsession with Remembering Things

My biggest problem i think is im always trying to remember things, like i feel i should or i need to remember things....not past memories so much, but irrelevant things, like what i dreamt last night... to trying to remember what is was that was bothering me yesterday ! ...like im always testing my memory for some reason.....
    Anyone else had this?

Re: Obsession with Remembering Things

Yes, it can do your head in but I guess it's good brain training.

Quote Originally Posted by robinbrum View Post
    Yes, it can do your head in but I guess it's good brain training.
    maybe it will prevent alzheimers then too!

Sometimes i'll read something... then the next day, im thinking 'what was that article i read yesterday?' then not only do i try to remember, i get obsessed if i cant remember it.....at least if your trying to recall who sang a certain song, you can just google it now!
    I need to ask myself, ok what will happen if i dont remember all these things? and the answer is nothing! got to let it go! drives me crazy....
    Dont know what causes it, i assume OCD... brain stuck in a pattern .. and then the anxiety it causes i guess keeps bringing it round and round again.
    Is there any cure for OCD, if its a brain transmitter thingy error?
    Last edited by Stormsky; 15-02-12 at 13:37.

I think it's a sign of intelligence - the thirst for knowledge perhaps? In my case it is linked partly to the acute fear of losing things and yet it doesn't seem to help because I still lose things...I guess it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Anyway that's for another thread lol.

dont think im obsessed with learning, just remembering things!!

I have to have everything right, from pots pointing the right way to everything in my house being 'as I left it'
    I can think of a face in my head and for the life of me cant remember a name or why I remembered it or why it drives me nuts that I cant place it at that time, but I have always been like that, my kids can say 'who sang that song' and I know it, I just cant place it, I put it down to old age :/

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

I dont personally think OCD is a bad thing, its a pain, but it does show that you are active (overly so) many people cope with varieting degrees of it, its when it becomes unhealthy for you, thats not great. I didnt notice till I had some stay for a few nights how, my things werent where they should be and I needed to put them all back, I think thats abnormal :/

Quote Originally Posted by sam66 View Post
    . I didnt notice till I had some stay for a few nights how, my things werent where they should be and I needed to put them all back, I think thats abnormal :/
    im the same when people stay, have to put the rooms back the way it was, the way i like it !!!

it was all I could do is let them stay, that was bad enough! but things were not 'put back' it set my panic off the scale, mirror isnt straight, drawers werent shut, tea, coffee,sugar lids not on straight, Im a nightmare :/

sam 66,
    I am the same.cannot go to bed without doing the same things,even if there are just the two of us Sometimes I go over the top--- like I am obsessed. I am trying to stop it, but no luck as yet.xx

Can you make yourself go crazy? with overthinking?
    I feel my overthinking, and feeling the need to remember things all the time will eventually drive me crazy..
    I start my day trying to recall what i dreamt about... and when i have a thought, i wonder how did i come to thinking that? so then replay my thoughts to try and find how i got to that thought....
    I lie in bed and if i get a random thought, i think where did that come from, why am i thinking that......
    I feel like im testing my memory all the time, having to remember all the things i think about in a day! which is impossible.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information