Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get GP to prescribe Citalopram?

How do I get GP to prescribe Citalopram?

I've been taking Mirtazapine since April 2011 but don't feel that it works for me as my anxiety levels are high and my mood is often very low.

Before that I had been on Fluoxetine and Paroxetine, both of which seemed to do a lot better than Mirtazapine does.

So I think that SSRIs are the way forward for me. I'd like to try Citalopram but I've read on various websites the doctors are wary of patients that ask for a certain medication.

What's the best way for me to approach this situation?

Re: How do I get GP to prescribe Citalopram?

I had same problem I had to be referred to the Psychiatrist by my GP , so I am on both just now only started citalopram 4 days ago and all going well with it will work down on the mirtazipine. my reasons for the change were same as yours and I had been on mirtazipine since same time. It worked fine for a while but I feel about 4 months ago a change , dont know if the med or perhaps me

I didnt even mention the med she actually did after I just expained my problems , so perhaps it is a good match

How to ask is a toughie like you say they dont like it when you self recommend perhaps just do it in a round about way , I know a friend ..... who found it beneficial ... or something

end of day same drug works differently in different people

I could say that brother suffers with depression and anxiety, and that he's found Citalopram works well for him?

Hi ive just come onto mirtazipine from citalopram as the cit just didn't help me at all, i found it heightened my anxiety and panics no end, ive persevered with it at different doses since sept but couldn't cope anymore, i had my first appointment with a physchatrist today and shes swapped me to mirtazipine 15mg to start with xx

I found with mirtazipine nicola no side effects and straight away you will get a good nights sleep I would take it early as to start with you may find 10-12 hours of sleep and as you get used to it it eases off. Some say a little tired when they awaken but again you get used to that , I didnt consider that as a side effect really as when I started taking it I was very sleep deprived , best of luck and I hope you settle with it better.

Maybe I should just ask to be referred to p.doc? They said no last time :(

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nicola1980 View Post
    Hi ive just come onto mirtazipine from citalopram as the cit just didn't help me at all, i found it heightened my anxiety and panics no end, ive persevered with it at different doses since sept but couldn't cope anymore, i had my first appointment with a physchatrist today and shes swapped me to mirtazipine 15mg to start with xx
    Different drugs work differently for people Nicola, good luck with Mirt! It did work for me but I just feel flat on it these days, does nothing for my mood and anxiety. I can handle initial side effects of SSRIs, Prozac has the worst apparantly and I managed to get through that.

if you explain no longer working they have to consider an alternative , I would ask to be referred , GP's are relectant I think at times to prescribed alternate medications on mental illness patients simply I think because they feel a pyschiatrist better trained at assessing your situation etc . Nothing ventured nothing gained but they cant leave you to suffer , end of day you know your body and mind best even though at times it can be difficult to get your emotions across in words

Thanks Bignic - I'll ask to be referred when I visit

I hope there isn't too long a waiting time for it.

I asked to be referred and got seen within a week by a physchatrist but i was at rock bottom so def demend a referral its your right good luck xx

Thanks Nicola, I'll definitely do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information