Thread: Does anyone obsess that they might have Schizophrenia?

Does anyone obsess that they might have Schizophrenia?

Okay...quick run down on my story - I have Pure O ocd. I had it ten years ago and took Setraline and recovered. I then stopped meds for four years then developed it again...took Effexor and recovered. I recently had a baby and stopped meds during pregnancy. I have now developed intrusive thoughts again...about harming my baby etc. I have no desire to...I just fear that I will...all my thoughts are "what if...i go crazy and hurt my baby". .I know it's irrational but I can't stop the thoughts. I also have a terrible fear of going crazy...to the point that I avoid things. I am aware of the symptoms of schizophrenia so I kind of manifest them to happen...though I am always aware that I'm being irrational...Like in my head I think "if I had schizophrenia I would be paranoid that people are looking at me" so then I start to feel anxious that people are looking at me...even though underneath the anxiety I know they aren't. Does anyone else have this. It's not schizophrenia is it? I am worried I will get worse and forget reality...any reassurance will really help.

Re: Does anyone obsess that they might have Schizophrenia?

Hi,
    Yes I have a fear of being schizophrenic/psychotic, OCD comes with different 'themes' but it doesn't really matter what the 'theme' is as it's all OCD. The thing you've got to remember is people who are delusional don't worry that the thoughts they have are delusional or linked to schizophrenia or psychosis, they fully believe them.
    Strange thoughts crossing your mind does not mean you have schizophrenia, they are thoughts and nothing more. The more you worry about the thoughts and if it means you have schizophrenia, the more you will search for evidence, the more evidence you will find and the worry goes on & on.
    The avoidance thing is a compulsion & at the time you truly believe if you were to say go outside you will definately lose control and hurt someone, but that's the way OCD works, it tells you all these lies when really they couldn't be further from the truth. Try not to avoid ( I know how hard it is not to) & try not to answer the thoughts back, just let them be.
    Mck

Thread Information