Thread: Has anyone tapered off Mirtazapine before?

Has anyone tapered off Mirtazapine before?

Well I finally did it! I went to the docs this morning to quit Mirtazapine and to start something new. I've been prescribed Citalopram, which I'm due to start in 10 days.

My GP has advised me to taper off Mirtazapine, 15mg every other day for 5 days and then one dose every 3 days for another week.

Then I'm to not take any drug for one week and to start the Citalopram after that has ended.

Has anyone else gone from Mirtazapine to Citalopram or had to taper off Mirt before? Is it as hard going as getting off Paroxetine?

Any input would be much appreciated

Re: Has anyone tapered off Mirtazapine before?

I got a pill splitter and cut the tabs in half then quarters. They are a bit soft and crumble. I recon you could dissolve them in a glass of water, stir it and drink half the glass for 7 days then a quarter for 7 days then stop.

I've had minimal withdrawal, some disturbed sleep, dreaming and itching!

Good luck.

I'm coming off mirtazapine all in one go but there again i am only on 15mg a day and only been on it for 2 weeks. I have found them to make me feel so ill that from next week i will be moved onto prozac.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtime View Post
    I got a pill splitter and cut the tabs in half then quarters. They are a bit soft and crumble. I recon you could dissolve them in a glass of water, stir it and drink half the glass for 7 days then a quarter for 7 days then stop.

I've had minimal withdrawal, some disturbed sleep, dreaming and itching!

Good luck.
    Thank you

I'm tapering from 15mg, so it's not as bad as if I was going from 45 or 30mg to nothing I guess.

But I've got through Paxil withdrawel, I can do anything after that.

Hope that goes well Monostich - you WILL find the right medication for you

Monostitch , what dosage were you on originally 15mg ? or higher , would be interested in seeing how you get on and what withdrawal symptoms if any as I think soon I will be having to cut back on mine now Ive started citalopram ( but for now Ive to take both at same time Im on 45mg mirt )

Thanks for the kind words guys.

bignik I have tapered down to 7.5 mg since last week and I am feeling better than I have for MONTHS. I am calm, happy and don't feel like I have a mass fog in my brain. Mirt can't be right for me because on the higher doses I had no energy or Desire. By next week I hope to be coming off Mirt altogether and might even try being med free for a while and see how I get on.

Thread Information