• can only go limited distance with safe person

66 27.73%
  • only go out when i really need to. eg shop

55 23.11%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Agoraohobia poll

Agoraohobia poll

Hey,
    I just wanted to start a poll to see how alone or not so alone i am! I feel,at presant,im the only person tackling a mountain!
    What is your agoraphobia 'status'?

hi
    I have been agoraphobic for 9 yrs but I am nearly recovered and for 3 yrs i couldnt leave the safety of my bedroom - could only go to the toilet with someone, etc. Had anxiety and panic attacks 24/7.
    it took me a long time to move downstairs and ages to be able to sit in my livingroom etc. The first time I put something in my outside bucket, I felt I had climbed Everest .
    But it can be done - you can overcome agoraphobia - I live on my own now, drive around my town centre (I am practising driving further afield), attend a night class at college, go shopping (still practising on this), can go to cinema, just back from a holiday in Spain!!
    I still have the symptoms but I control them better - and have learned to live with it and accept it is ANXIETY.
    Take care everyone and there is hope

Darkangel x

........life is for living not just for surviving

wow!! ok, now THAT is a success story!! THANKYOU SO MUCH for sharing that!! youve done extremely well!
    Becci x

Hi Becci,
    Your not alone but i know how you feel about being on a lonely moutain!
    My agoraphobia started about 10 years ago,i couldnt leave the house then started being able to leave when with someone else,now im working on leaving my home alone!! Its not easy but im making myself go out at least once a day,sometimes i just cant face it alone but i make sure i get out at least once(even if its just a walk to the end of the road when its dark!!)
    It is getting easier and it is possible to recover from agoraphobia,in my opinion everyone can recover!!
    Good luck,feel free to pm me anytime if you need a chat!

Dark angel,your story is inspirational,thank-you!!

Take care xx

hello wanna!!
    Of course ur not alone and it will get better!! I have been agrophobic for 4 yrs now- it started really bad out of the sudden- i couldnt do anything, couldnt answer fone or even go in the back garden!! But it got better- this year is my year to say beep it- im learnin to drive and ive been on holiday, I still have trouble goin out alone but im gettin there!! Some days u have to force uself but it gets easier and easier!! I can now go anywhere with me fella and im hopin soon i will get to go anywhere alone!!
    Hope your feelin better bout this awful illness!! lol
    Ammegxxxx

I cannot get out of the street at the moment but I did start to get out and take my son to school. I stopped and now it seems impossible again!

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

i can walk down my street on my own but any further i have to be with someone....

your not a lone we all in same boat in one way or another

xxxxxxxx

if it looks like it works and feels like it works then it works!!!

Hi everyone,

My experience is mixed. I could have ticked a few of the poll options, depending on what day I read the poll.

Some days I can do so much more than other days but I very rarely go out alone. I did so recently when I visited my freind who lives about 10 miles away, this was my first outing alone in so long. My friend also suffers panic attacks and agoraphobia and in a strange way this made me feel more confidant because I knew that when I got to her place, she would understand how I may be feeling. Of course I had my usual panic attacks but this was a big achievement for me. Since then I have been less adventurous, I have not been out alone.

I dislike making big plans, I have too much anxiety leading up to them, I try to just take each day one day at a time. Some days I do not leave my home, some days I cannot walk into my back garden, other days I can walk to the post office but then not go in if there is a queue. Some days I can go to the supermarket but dash around as though I am 'on speed', with the overall aim of getting out of there as fast as I can!!

There are things I can never do though, like the hairdressers, college! The fear and of not being able to get to a place of safety, or the fear of having a panic attack is too great, and while there are some truly inspiring stories on this site, I struggle to find it within myself to believe that I will ever be free from the psychological torment of agoraphobia.

Ah well, you can always rely on me for a bit of negativity, I never intend to be this way, it just happens.

Bye folks, and take care all.

Freaky

Hia all
    i dont go out my garden and even then can go a bit dizzy and out of it ...lol but i will improve slowly but surely i know this can be beaten and there is so much positiveness on here it really helps.Strange thing is when i had this years ago i had claustraphobia and couldnt stay in without panic.
    take care cheryl

hi evryone!
    wow its so good 2 hear people stories and it actually gives me abit of hope!!
    i have only got really bad and cant go nowhere since the begining of the year.
    i feel like im stuck in this situation but hearing other peoples sucess has made me think i can do it go out and lead a normal life without anxiety or panic and that nothing will happen 2 me if i leave my front door. easia sed then done though!!!!
    so thanku evry1 but im sure we will all get over this eventually so gd luck im sure i will need it! we will just have 2 take it 1 step at a time!
    take care all xxx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information