Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Harm OCD

Re: Harm OCD

Im the same mine changed almost to what if I'll want to do it someday. Im sure that meant it was sort of coming to the end because it's running out of things to upset you with!

Thanks for that final reply. It's still the same realy questions just going through my mind and I have got to the point today were I feel it's running out of steam as I think I have done every 'what if?' I can with this one.

How r u clc?

I haven’t been on this site for ages; I was reading back to see how far I’ve came and had no plans to reply, however I used to have dreadful intrusive thoughts and I just had to reply to this one because it echoes so much of what I feared.

Scared_11 I’m doing the wrong thing in reassuring you (because reassurance is feeding your OCD) but I felt so bad for you that I had to reply, and sometimes (when we’re in the depths) reassurance can allow that first step back on our feet.

You have purely obsessional OCD (which means you have the thoughts, but not the rituals). The first thing you need to do is accept that and stop looking for other explanations (because you will ALWAYS find a thread of doubt). Purely obsessional OCD is poorly understood by the medical profession. The earlier comments about harm not being in someone’s nature are nonsense (sorry to the poster), and incredibly unhelpful to the pure obsessive, because the thoughts are there in spite of you, not because of you. They reflect in no way on your character, everyone has alarming thoughts – the difference with the obsessional is that they get stuck on the thought. You respond emotionally, thus your brain thinks this thought is important. It’s not, the content of the thought means nothing – all it represents is anxiety.
    The best technique for obsessive thoughts is acceptance of the thoughts existence and avoidance of the rumination.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information