Thread: increase in depression a side effect?

increase in depression a side effect?

hi there, i'm just looking for some hope that i am doing the right thing going onto setraline... Been taking them 2 weeks, one week on 25mg and one week on 50mg. Fairly quickly i did notice the constant tension pain i'd been getting in my neck and shoulders was a it better, but i've had no relief from anxiety.
    Over the past few days i have had a strong depression come on, when depression is not noirmally a big problem for me. Also i am waking in the middle of the night, 3am, with really bad anxiety.
    Right now it feels like i should stop, this depression feels bad enough to stop me functioning.
    Is this a side effect in the initial weeks? Anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks
    Gareth

Re: increase in depression a side effect?

Hi Gareth - have not been on sertraline before - on prozac day 15 - tough going. Think withl all of these antidepressants the symptoms do get worse before they get better - I know my anxiety has! these are usually start up effects so your body can get used to the medication - do not stop them - I am no professional but give them another week or telephone the doctor but, personally feel, they will diminish - probably the increase in dose. I had this sort of pattern on Mirtazapine on it for 6 weeks and the depression got te rrible so came off them and restarted Prozac that had served me well for many years. You know how you feel Gareth - give your dr a ring. Hope this helps Laura

---------- Post added at 08:32 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

Feeling worse before feeling better

Gareth,

As Laura has said, it's very common to experience a worsening of symptoms over the first few weeks of ADs and many people stop taking them during this time. Try to stick it out and, if you start to feel like it's unbearable or you start to get really negative thoughts, go back and see your GP. The effects of meds vary with the individual but it's always worth persevering as they can really help you in the longer term by giving you the time to address your condition with a clearer head.

Good luck

Pip

Hi Gareth,

Like the girls say meds will make it worse before it gets better. I AM IN LOVE WITH SERTRALINE !!! Its amazing I have been taking it for 3months. It can take a while to kick in, took me about 4weeks to start feeling better.

I was so scared of taking any meds and took me weeks to pluck up the courage to pop a pill and now I don't ever wanna come off sertraline. I also take 50mg.

give it time, don't give up on this drug. however obviously if it go's on for ages you will have to let your GP know.
    good luck
    x

Many thanks all for the replies, it helps a lot. Strangely, once I got to work today I started to feel a little brighter, a little less burdened than I did over the weekend. And this comes after my worse weekend and worse night yet... Its so up and down!
    I also feel really "jittery" and "over alert". I guess this means the drug is doing something. I know I need to be patient and will try to stick it out.
    Gareth

Hi gareth i have just started venlofaxine, day 20 now and my depression is worse, and i also have heightened anxiety, this is sp hard yo get the right meds at the right dose, going back to gp tomorrow.

hope you feel better soon xx

Thread Information