Thread: Agoraphobia/Claustraphobia and i need to fly soon!

Thumbs up Agoraphobia/Claustraphobia and i need to fly soon!

Hello,

This may sound quite extreme but i have a fear of being in situations i cant control, or get out of.

So planes are an absolute no no for me, and even on buses i cant stand the anxiety, i just panic. I have made great steps to try and beat this at home with medication, therapy etc but nothing works, and for the last 3 years i havent managed to do even a 45 minute flight.

I really need to fly soon (year and a half) and if i cant do a 45 minute flight how can i do a 12 hour one?

Can anyone sugges a way to beat this agoraphobic/claustraphobic fear? When that door shuts and locks i think i would panic, you cant get off the plane! =(

Thanks in advance.

Re: Agoraphobia/Claustraphobia and i need to fly soon!

I've had to fly to american many time, you would be surprised just well you can hold up taking every hour as it own

Have you spoken to your GP about your fears, if not I would suggest you go along and talk it through. There are lots of us that go through this, some need medication others a course of CBT can be beneficial.

Good luck...I hope you get the help and support you need

10mg Diazepam and four pints of lager, and you'll be able to fly the damned thing yourself

My friend did hynotherapy. Didn't stop the anxiety completely but she flies 4 times a year now fairly happily.

My strategy for this is to break the flight down into blocks - so a 10 hour flight would be 20 blocks for me ie., 20 x 30 mins - at the end of each 30 mins I reward myself or congratulate myself that I have "survived" that block - what happens in the end is that is passes far quicker than you imagine because planes are busy places !!! drinks (soft ones only), toilet trips, food, magazines ...................... films etc etc

On long flights I go to the toilet every 4 blocks ie., 2 hours - this stretches your muscles and also means that you are marking time passing toward the end of your flight.

Another tactic is to "save" a favourite magazine or book and open it once you are airborne. Gives you a focus.

Are you travelling with someone or alone? If with someone, do they know of your fear? Let them know and see if you can agree some "talking" time on the plane during the flight (you can talk all the way if you want but 10 hours is one heck of a convo) - again this breaks up the time ...............

Hope that helps - it has worked for me.

Also, would just like to add that a 45 minute flight is actually worse than a 10 hour one - no sooner up and then you are down !!!!

My worries left me completely when I had successfully completed a trip to Australia!!! (a very long flight indeed but well worth the effort)

Macc Noodle.

xx

PS: forgot to say - your doc would always prescribe a low level dose of something to take the edge of it for you too.

Thumbs up Re: Agoraphobia/Claustraphobia and i need to fly soon!

Thanks eveyone,

Yes i currently have diazepam 5mg but my fear is getting to the other side of the world and being scared of the plane so i cant come back? Getting stuck in a country would be a nightmare! =(

The flighht will be a hard barrier to overcome but thanks for your help everyone. =)

Hi RSU
    You did not say if you have ever flown before or if this would be your first flight?
    It doesn't sound as though the aspects of flying trouble you, but more, as you mentioned, it is just the fear of not being in control or not being able to get out of the situation, that distresses you.

It may help to change the way you view things. Perhaps start by changing some statements.
    For example instead of saying " I need to fly" change that to "I want to fly" ( write it out)
    You have just empowered yourself. You now "own" the decision to fly, it is "yours".
    Try writing down other things you make think or say and then simply re-word them to make them your own. This simple technique can be very empowering and in and of itself will help, give you a sense of control over situations. It makes a mental connection that this is something "you choose" and that "you want" to do.
    Then go further by writing down and listing some of the positive reasons, why you want to fly, why make the trip, along with some positive benefits or rewards, that making the trip will bring to you. These will help to give you positive reinforcement for your decision to take the trip.

Next you want to make a mind-body connection to "things you can control". While it is true that we can't always control "everything" , there are things "you can control". For example, you can position or move your hands in a certain way, rotate your foot in circles to the right, or to the left, just little things, it's to you to choose, find something that works for you, and then practice it, "this" you can do. It may seem a little strange, but it is a very powerful technique, that will make a mind-body connection, that you are in control. You can carry this further, by making another connection, of things in your immediate environment, that you can control. Lower your tray table, pull the window shade half way down, for 15 minutes, put it back up for 15, recline your seat a bit, there are lots of possibilities. All these things will reinforce that you are in control and reinforce the feeling that you are. Finally add a bit of mindfulness to things. Mindfulness is the acceptance of things, without trying to change them.

While we cannot always control "everything", we can control some things and I think that these techniques, will help you feel more in control and at ease. So write things out, change and reword those statements, make body mind-connections with gestures or movements, and make mind-body environment connections in the same way. Practice them and then put them into practice, perhaps by taking a short trip on the bus to start with.

Wishing you much success with " your choices"

-EZibie

Hi

Your original thread started could very much be my post.

I last flew in 2006 and didnt make a family holiday in 2007.

I'm too bothered about the being high, I dont think, or the plane itself. It is like you, its the door shut (gulp) and all those other people making a noise and making me anxious. And, like you said, getting to the other side and coming back, although that is usually a bit easier.

I am REALLY contemplating going on a plane this year and it will, as long as my GP assists, with a dose of something very very calming.

Very best wishes with whatever you do to get there.

Let us know how you go?

Have you taken the diazepam before, I was taking something like that.
    Preferably something that is kind on the body.

Thread Information