Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dentists

Dentists

I have never been a fan of going to the dentist, something that started years ago and gradually got worse over time, to the point where I had to go see my doc to get sedation before I went.
    Today was appointment day, I suffer 'out of my comfort zone' at the best of times, home is safe and thats where I like to stay.
    Today has been hell, my panic through the roof, can I go out, can I cope, DENTIST, Ill never do it!
    Eventually I coaxed myself into its fine get in there get out, get home.
    I felt sick, faint, shaking, you name it I had it.
    I booked myself in, sat opposite the door just thinking the door is there, go, but I stayed and was seen, not good news as I have to do it three times next month to get the treatment I need.
    But I did stay, how I have no idea i never even had anything from my doctor to help me. I was still shaking an hour after I got home, horrible

Re: Dentists

Very well done for going! You'll be so glad you did because the dentist is something that can't be put off forever, and the more you go, the longer you'll keep your teeth.

I have had to go four times in the past four months. The treatment was fine and it gets a bit easier each time (I have social anxiety and agoraphobia). I was due to go tomorrow at 10am and was all geared up to go when I just heard it's been cancelled and rescheduled for Monday. My partner has organized tomorrow off work too.

Still, I know I'll be very relieved when it's over. Give yourself a big pat oin the back for today.

Thankyou Rain, I was shaking for over an hour when i got home, I have put it off for over a year, the leaving home, people and the dentist!
    Hope all goes well for you

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

do you have a pattern in leaving home Rain, I really panic when Im out of safe place, does that affect you?

i know how your feel, but well done for going, i have a fear of the dentist, i was in so much pain i had to go, dont do well on buses so walk into town to dentist, nearly two miles, avioded main roads why took so long to get there, got to main road near dentist, panic attack, shaking when i got there, it was awful, but i got there, got tempory filling in, but since then filling has come out, got apt on 5th march, really not looking forward to that,

i practise on buses three times a week with support worker, today wasnt good, just wontd to get off asap, more and more people got on every stop, started to panic, was only a ten min journey, but took forever, so glad to get back home, been getn cbt for last few months, helps abit, have you tried cbt? wishing you well

xxxxx

im not getting cbt or meds, trying to tuff this one out on my own, I have conquered it before, I can beat panic, I hope i can!. wishing you well in your recovery x

Well done you , you should be proud of your self , wanna laugh ??? I m petrified of caterpillars to the extent if I see one I m hiding under the bed , yes under the bed , so be proud of your self . You done better than I would have done !!!
    Zoe xxx

wanna bigger laugh, I plowed into a car to avoid one in the road, driver said watch out ya mad woman I hit you, i replied' there was a catterpiller in....... shut up woman you are mad.... lol

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

Elainai we all have our fears nothing to be ashamed of

I used to have huge problems with the dentist until about 8 years ago. I'd had a number of bad experiences earlier in my life and had got to the stage of complete avoidance. Needless to say, I got worse and worse bouts of toothache and put up with dental abscesses, which was a bit mad, to say the least.

The things that I found helped me were:

* finding a dentist that I could trust
    * telling him that I was a phobic (this is really important, as they now have special training to help them manage phobics)
    * telling him which parts of the treatment were worst for me - it was the injections that were the worst problem
    * getting someone to go with me initially

I can honestly say now that I have no problems with going at all - I have had wisdom teeth out, root canals, the lot - in fact, my dentist says that I am one of his best patients!!!

Well done blueangel, I just tend to stress get in and get out again, I have four extractions on my next visit, I just have to smell that dentist smell and Im a wreck so god knows how I will cope with any treatment, I might have to brave the doc and see if he will sedate me again before I go :/

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

It doesnt help when they speak very little English and have no understanding on a fear of the dentist and trying to explain when they just dont understand :/

You could try going to 'dental fear central' (google it) a site specifically for those with dental phobia. I managed to overcome my phobia, which was years in the making, by reading information on the site. I am currently having two dental appointments a week, had an extraction, a root canal two days ago, lots of xrays, impressions for orthodontic work, and crowns re-done, hygenist work etc. (I sound like a mess, actually I only have three fillings, but now I've overcome the immense fear there are lots of things I'd like improved lol) Anyhows, what I am saying is that there is some specific help out there on-line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information