Thread: Your opinion about agoraphobia

Your opinion about agoraphobia

Hi everyone, this is my first official post after introducing myself

As many of you I developed agoraphobia due to panic attacks. People always say to look fear in the eyes and expose ourselves to whatever we fear but I have been struggling with that theory cause it doesn't seem to work for me. Let's say you decide to expose yourself to a situation you fear hoping to stay calm; but what if you have a panic attack? Isn't that a major disappointment and setback although your expectations? I am mostly talking about the psychological disappointment, like yourself is telling you that you were right avoiding certain situations.

I just wanted to hear what you guys think and how you cope with agoraphobia and panic attacks

Re: Your opinion about agoraphobia

Aura,

That is certainly a CBT model to follow and one I have been using to help with my panic attacks and anxiety.

The first major issue to overcome is the understanding and acceptance that a panic attack, whilst hugely unpleasant, will not harm you. The more you expose yourself to the situation you fear and the more you challenge the panic attack scenario, the fewer the attacks eventually become.

I have not suffered agoraphobia per se, but have certainly had times when staying at home in my "safe place" was a preferred option to going out into the world !! Avoidance of certain places where I have suffered attacks was very commonplace for me until I leaned to deal with the panic sensations.

Even now, I still have bad days although the good ones far outweigh the bad ones and I always say that I am a "work in progress".

I would say, from my personal viewpoint, that yes I do agree that facing the fear and putting yourself in the situation where you are risking a panic attack in the name of trying to get better and then finding you do panic is quite disappointing but you know what you have to try and view it a little differently - the fact that you are even trying to face the panic is an achievement.

Find praise for yourself in even the smallest achievements - build on those small achievements to work towards your final goal. It is a long haul and it is hard work but if you don't try what are you going to do?

Self affirmation and constant personal praising works wonderfully well for many people in all aspects of life and is a brilliant tool to have in your armoury - not saying I can do it all day and every day but I do keep trying and it has made my life much better than it was a year ago.

A lovely post from Macc noodle as always
    I would like to add, the more you understand panic attacks, the less you fear them. Once you can deal with them, you won't have a major setback! Don't start facing them until you know exactly how to cope first.
    Take care.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

yes I agree....I have forced myself to go to some of the 'places where Ive experienced panic attacks before' and it wasnt nearly as bad as I expected.Once or twice Ive felt my breathing going funny and a sudden fleeting fear.....but I told myself...it wont harm you....breath slowly....concentrate on the TV,or whoever's talking......just nod,smile and wait for the feelings to subside......it was hard but I really felt like I gained some control.
    I didnt go into full panic because I now understand what has been happening to my body and mind.Ive not conquered it completely though.....I have a main goal....just one more place to go before I,ll know I can face my fears and beat it! not quite ready yet....but we,ll see.

I know how much a panic attack can feel like a massive set back when you try to do something, but it's only as much of a set back as you allow it to be. With CBT, I'm learning that we're supposed to actually WANT to have one, because the only way to get truly rid of these things is by having them and not letting them stop us.

So, for example, my therapist has had me getting on the bus by myself and travelling two stops every day for a week. This makes me very panicky (especially waiting at the bus stop), but she says that's good. Having a panic attack or getting very anxious and still doing what you were going to do is an achievement and every time we do it, we're training our brains that there is nothing to be scared of.

Of course, there will be times when you give into the panic. Recovery is a difficult road. But it's important not to let it make you feel like a failure. You have to celebrate your successes. And having a PA while you're out and not running straight home again is a major success.

Imagine your panic like a spoiled child. When it's been younger, you have given into it every time it's stamped its feet. Trying to get rid of it is like suddenly telling that spoiled child that it can no longer have everything its own way. You're going to have to deal with a few temper tantrums from it before it learns its lesson.

Thread Information