Thread: 4am - woke up in a panic attack!

4am - woke up in a panic attack!

I've not had a night time attack since I started citalopram a few months ago but this last weekend I've been extremely anxious and have been really struggling - I understand why this is a panic attack but it doesn't make it any less intense or scary.
    I just woke up really weird - it all happened so fast but I felt like I couldn't see, everything was blurred, my hands and body felt like they weren't mine, I felt really shaky an couldn't move, my heart began to pound an my breathing went shallow.. I managed to move an turn the light on an I tried to keep as calm as I could. I've got some water an trying to distract myself on here till the feelings pass.
    I can notice a huge difference in myself handling them since starting the meds - a few months back I would have completely freaked out, running in to my mum an getting out in the fresh air - so I definitely see an improvement where that's concerns but they are still so frightening!!!
    I don't get how I can wake up in an attack?!
    Sorry for going on, just trying to distract myself x

Re: 4am - woke up in a panic attack!

Sounds like you did really well in dealing with this panic attack, the skills you are using now will make them easier and easier to deal with in future and less frightening.

It takes (to my mind) less than a second for a panic attack to whoosh up within you. So, you weren't having the panic attack when you were asleep, and the moment you woke up something triggered it - maybe you woke up with a start, maybe you woke up and have a sudden flash of worry about your breathing ? It is quite common to have them in the middle of the night.

Thread Information